Copper setups

I know there's a lot of talk on the Lake O forum about this, but I think they're a bit overkill for the fingerlakes. I'm looking to get probably a 450 ft setup (45lb). Targeting depths between 50-75 feet. If I get 2 setups, I'm probably going to run them from the outer ends of the rocket launcher.

1 : If I run two rigs from my launcher, can I put dypsys on them to spread them out farther? I'm not to keen on running off from the planers. Hear the tight bend at the release stresses the copper line.

2 : Do I need backing? Don't really see a 10lb laker making any kind of a run on copper.

3 : How long of a leader? (10lb test ok?)

4 : Reel.... Under $100.... Closer to $50 the happier I am! ;)

T82

I use copper a little different on the fingers, drag bottom with Suttons,Silver Minnows

and other spoons. Run 600ft on a Dm 45 with Cabelas Whuppin stick and no backing.

Have use them down the chute with Dodger and fly and some stick and spoon.

Best luck has come off the bottom.

Splitshot115

SplitShot,

Dragging bottom....

Say you are in 80 fow....

Technically I guess you would only need about 400' out. Is this what you do? What would happen if you ran 500' out...

This doesn't tear up your copper line on the mussels and stones and stuff?

That cabelas depthmaster rig looks nice! Not expensive either!

I know when I'm running bottom with my riggers that a lot of times my bottom spoon will drag and the hooks will be fouled up with mussels. Do you run into that a lot dragging copper?

3 : How long of a leader? (10lb test ok?)

Trolling82, Just stop over some day I have 8 copper rigs, I will show you the set up. I run mine like core a 200' and 300' are great for running off boards. You want backing at least 150 to 300 yds of power pro, then your copper I run 80 to 100 ft of 20 lb floro leader then a 8ft 12 lb floro leader on the Fingers. You hook the board to the backing not the copper or you will brake it. Then run it out to the side and get it out of the way. I have run it like Splitshot also wich works I just dont anymore I usualy have to many rigs out so I like to keep the back of the boat clear. Sean

You probably don't want to run two coppers down the chute off the arch. There's eventually going to be a heck of a mess back there. I would suggest either running one down the chute or run 2 either off inlines(up to 300' copper) or big boards. Go see Sean, he'll get you squared away! -Andy

Hate to burst the bubble but a Penn 309 isn't going to hold much that much copper. With a minimal amount of backing I'm guessing 200' or so? You might be better off using those reels for 10-15 colors if you are looking to get down past 40'. Lead core has a lot to offer too, especially for running spoons! All the same stuff about boards vs. the chute applies to core too!