dipsey rigger

A few weeks ago,i mentioned about using a release on the rear of a dipsey with a 2 rod system...i havn't tried it yet, but on my shakedown run sunday(white lake ) i tightened the trip arm of a magnum dipsey so it wouldn't release , clipped an offshore release to the rear of the dipsey,then took off my downrigger ball and replaced it with the dipsey/release.Worked great...spread my lures nicely . What i found out though, i couldn't lower the dipsey electrcally,(walker)had to let it down manually.But the rig comes up nicely electrically. Great for shallow,spooky fish...leaves more room in the stern for fighting/netting fish...or more room for junk rods or flat lines down the chute. Ithink it would also be a good option for shallow uneven bottom, or debris filled areas where you might hang up a rigger ball .Losing a 10 dollar dipsey is alot less painful than losing a 20 or 30 or 50 dollar rigger ball !........Just clip on a dipsey/release with the trip arm cranked down tight onto your down rigger ball clip(probeless rigger,no ball retriever),let out your line as short or far as you like,clip it in the release,clicker on,and lower the the rigger ...Engage reel and thats it....(don't crank down rod to load it)Give it a try sometime....choo-choo

• 3 weeks later...

another way to do it is to use a downrigger weight, with a leader running off the back of the ball about 10 feet, then clip on the diver, and your line with lures. The diver will run below the weight keeping the weight safe from bottoming out. I heard this idia from the guys that troll in the finger lakes where the depths change extreemly fast.