planer boards in deeper water

I've never used planer boards and thought they were used mainly for shallower water but have seen boats with them out in deeper water. Do you run deeper diving plugs like tail dancers on them or are shallow rapalas, etc for fish running up high, or are they mainly charters running them to get 8 or more rods in the water avoiding tangles? I have boards, but usually only have 1 or 2 guys in the boat with me and didn't know if it was worth the trouble in deeper water to run them or not.

I will run all kinds of lures off My boards. If i find a nice pronounced temp break on the surface, out comes My 3 And 5 color cores. Later in The season i run copper And full cores. If Im only running one Long rig on each side, i'll break out the inline boards rather than fool around with big boards. Either technique can be deadly.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile.png

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile.png

On Calm days when the fish are in the top 40 ft I like to run deep divers off my boards a long way out. I like spoonbill rebels or thundersticks. I have A BLK SIL w/ red belly I have caught some nice kings & Steelheads on . I figure it gets down 20' or so.

• 1 month later...

What is the recommended release to use when hooking up the copper to the planar board line. I" have been looking for a small triangular shaped release that one of the charter captains had on his rig last year. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Trorun

Not sure about the rest but I use rubberbands for releases when fishing this way. Its hard to know how much pull will be on your lines and with rubberbands you just add them till you get the hold you want. I like running dipsy divers off mono with all kinds of lures mainly stick baits with the big lips, dipsy takes it down a ways then the lure dives below that (I use a 8 foot leader from the dipsy to the lure). But with current i cant get any other release to work all the time.