nk at 2.5?

tuesday i ran a nk at a little under 3 mph and took 2 coho off of it on a board, wouldnt be my first choice, but it is my lucky lure and i think plain and simple the coho were would hit anything that day. well the lure looks alot better running at 3.5 mph along side the boat than at 2.5 ...i c alot of post that people have there speed under three and have a n/k listed as a top lure of the day. is this common or would i be just washing lures at the slower speed?

as long as you speed matches your presentation your good, a salmon can swim 25 mph so keep your speed under that,,, sometimes it takes getting out of your element to figure out things ...IE; this year in fla i observed many (all) charters fishing king mackrel going 5 to 7 mph (just guessin but they were really moving fast) all i had were my spoons from up here which need slower speeds to "flutter and kick" and those fish didnt mind one bit Im shure i did as well in my canoe as those guys were in their 42 ft cruisers (catching not comfort)...same with lakers many people think ya gott slow way down for them unt uh , their little tail can get em up to speed when their hungry ,...you ant gonna get a flutter spoon or cow bells to perform at 3 mph nor are ya gonna get a heavy NK to perform at 1.5 mph.....so when i mention the 3 S's ,speed,speed,speed your speed need to match your presentation,,,,its more important to "match " your lure action (weight & action) in your spread to your speed than color..(in my opinion) ive only been doing trollin for 10 years and lake ontario for a few less than that ,but if you think and pay attention to whats happening on your boat (maybe your speed indicator is 1/2 mph diff than some one elses ) or their pullin heavy stuff and you got light stuff out if you match their speed your killin your spread....another thing to keep in mind you get off speed for 10 min out of 1 hour (too fast or slow) and you "kill your spread" now multiply that by time on water IE; in 6 hours you totally wasted 1 hour of off speed time ,gas,catching,and fighting....FISHING... so make the best of every second your out there and put the speed indicator in front of the drivers eyes.......

A lot of things play into the "speed" factor. There are different currents in the water column. Unless you have down speed you can't know precisely except by a guess or cable sway. Also cross currents that can affect your presentation. Ray is correct about the 3 s's. More important than color or lure choice by far. I only have surface speed & GPS for SOG ( speed over ground) , I use the 2 to correct myself best I can . Direction of troll is important also.I troll a lot of NK's because they are forgiving . I have had sucess from 1,6- 3.5 on my surface speed ,but that may not be the speed it is moving at the ball.