New to Lake Ontario Fishing

I picked up a 17ft tracker this year that is equipped with downriggers. I have been fishing most of my life but always from cartoppers (12ft) aluminum boat and always on inland lakes mostly in the ThunderBay area . I really want to take my kids out and get into some Salmon this spring. Any advise on where to go near home( Hamilton On. ) would be greatly appreciated. I am fully expecting a learning curve but a little head start would be nice.

Spring fishing in your area is typically the Port Dalhousie area for trout and salmon and Welland for lake trout. Salmon are known to forage near Welland also. You will be limited on Lake Ontario by the boat size, you'll have to wait for calm water days. Look ahead for light winds from the North, NW, and NE. West wind of 15 mph or less should work out. South, SW, and SE allow for higher wind speeds. East winds- stay home, the fishing is terrible.

Fish the bottom for lakers (don't be afraid to let the ball hit a little) and try to stay s-l-o-w (1.5 mph is a good starting point). Kings will work at 2-3.5 mph, while trout like 2-2.5 mph.

Lake trout like small spoons and kwik fish lures, while trout and salmon typically hit throughout the water column on all sizes of spoons, trolled with or without attractors such as spin doctors or flashers. Both are effective pulling salmon flies, but I've never tried a Spin Doctor with a spoon.

There are many posts on this site that reveal color selection for spoons. Salmon like glo, black/purple, green. Orange and red are good for steelhead and coho. Chartreuse and green are good for lake trout.

As spring turns to summer the fish generally move farther from shore, which will make it harder for you to chase them in your boat size. You'll have to get out into 100 feet depths (100-300) to find them. Be safe!

In fall salmon move in close again, so look at Welland and Port Dalhousie again.

The Niagara River is a major fish attractor year round, but a longer drive for you.

Hope this helps you get started. With time and experience, success goes up. Hope you can get the kids hooked on fishing!

Get a few of the right rods , a few of the popular spoons( I like NK 28 & Mags ) w/ ball bearing swivles , maybe a few sticks baits . Put one rod each on your riggers back 20-50 ' one 10' off bottom one half way down & troll ,speed is important. Watch depth finder. Run a flatline or two if you wantback 125-250' ( j 11 raps ) but most will come off riggers. . Most importantly, don't get discouraged& KEEP IT SIMPLE at first. More is always not better. Make what you have work. I llke to troll a little faster than most and do a lot of zig zagging to give lure action, slow s-turns. Good luck& be safe.

I picked up a 17ft tracker this year that is equipped with downriggers. I have been fishing most of my life but always from cartoppers (12ft) aluminum boat and always on inland lakes mostly in the ThunderBay area . I really want to take my kids out and get into some Salmon this spring. Any advise on where to go near home( Hamilton On. ) would be greatly appreciated. I am fully expecting a learning curve but a little head start would be nice.

You have a good start but I'll tell that the best investment might be a marine band radio. The big O can be a nasty body of water. Don't risk anything or anyone and play close attention to the weather. Follow the reports and try to spend time experimenting with presentation. Speed can be very important with the current out there, trolling directions can drastically alter the lure speed and action.

fishing out of Grimsby is allways good for me. You can launch out of Fifty point or Forans marine in Grimsby. Between Fifty piont and forans in about 60' to 70' I've caught some rainbows and Kings in green flies tied ti flashers about 30' to 40' down on the riggers. Like the other guy said Lakers are on the bottom 80' to 100' I've cuaght lots on a Lens Tompson large yellow with five red diamons. Keep an eye on the weather and good luck