Birds

Does anyone know what the birds were that were flying around in Mexico Bay this past weekend? Funny things they were. Running on top of the water while their wings were flapping away trying to get away from boats on plane. They sorta looked like a duck from the neck up, but their bodies looked like something else. Black with a white tail. Anyone have a clue?

Those are probably Old squaws or the politically correct "Long tail sea duck". They are usually white with black tails, however when they get into the eclipse faze, whats normally white on them turns black and what not. Really cool looking bird in full plumage in January. Some of the fastest fliers and hard to kill. Wasted many rounds on them. They must wear Kevlar vests.

They were quite amusing to watch. And, when they couldn't get out of the way quickly enough, they'd suddenly disappear underwater, then pop back up after the boat would pass them. Very different bird. I had more than a few good laughs watching them. And, yes, VERY fast!

Longtail, Oldsquaw,

Call them what you may but they are with out a doubt the hardest waterfowl in the world to kill. I'll second Missdemeanors comment I've killed my share during second season. They have been caught in nets 180' down. They literally fly underwater. They'll go down and come up 500 yards away. Pretty cool noises when they flock up. If you really want to see good groups of them go to the Niagara after the new year comes around and bring LOTS of ammo :lol::lol: