Outer Banks Fishing

I will be going on vacation the first week in June to the Outer Banks, last year when I went I saw alot of people fishing from the beach. Anyone ever do this that could give me some tips on tackle and fishing licenses? Has anyone booked a charter from the outer banks before? Any information would be helpful.

Where will you be staying? In general you have 3 choices. On shore, close to shore and off shore.

On shore get a surf rod or two. You acn get a cheap one at one of the department stores on your way down. Stop at a tackle shop they will sell you 2 hook rigs with Pyramid sinkers and cut mullet or squid. Don't expect anything too big but its a nice way to spend a day or night.

Inshore, Small boat sound type charters for $200 or so a half day. Mostly get small blues and spanish mackeral. Not too big but you can catch a lot.

Off shore If you are near one of the marinas go down the first day and try to sign on for what they call a make up charter. They will put you on a 6 pack charter with other people. Cost about $200 each but it is a full day trip to the gulfstream. You can catch Mahi Mahi, Wahoo, King Mackeral, Yellowfin Tuna, or even a sail fish or marlin. The marina I go to you pay per pound to have the catch cleaned and it is split up at the dock. I recomend the trip as long you are not too prone to sea sickeness and you don't mind fishing with people you don't know. For the most part the people I have meet on these trips have been great and interesting to spend a day with.

A fishing license will cost $10 for a week to fish on shore, Most of the charters have a blanket license that will cover you if you get on board. If you have any questions fire away.

Greg

ote="DEFIANCE1"]I will be going on vacation the first week in June to the Outer Banks, last year when I went I saw alot of people fishing from the beach. Anyone ever do this that could give me some tips on tackle and fishing licenses? Has anyone booked a charter from the outer banks before? Any information would be helpful.

Thanks for the reply, I think I am leaning more towards just on shore fishing, something to pass the time when everyone just wants to go to the beach. We will be renting a house out in Avon NC. I have a nine foot medium spinning rod with a Shimano Spirex 4000. Think it would do without having to buy another rod/reel combo?

That rig should work. Don't forget you will need something to hold the pole so some pvc shapened at one end will work. they sell them pretty cheap at the tackle shops. Try to stay away from weeds and look for current rips where there is an undertow. Be careful you don't go out with the rip they can be very bad out there.

This is a website I use for info.

http://www.fishtradewinds.com/

good luck

If you got a 4x4 rig be sure to take it. You can drive the beach and access it from maintained ramps over the dunes. It is very handy to get to places that are a far walk. Just air down the tires (10-15 psi) for some floatation and you can go anywhere even with street tires as long as you stick to trails and have an easy foot on the gas. The hot spots for me are the cape point out of Buxton and the Light house access point. It is a very far distance from paved roads and only a vehicle is the way to get there. Also try the Ocracoke inlet for some flounder and other fish such as the blues and spanish there. Pompano should be around at that time all along the surf side and although they are not big fast fighters, they are some of the best eating. Catch them on pieces of shrimp or harvest some sand fleas in the roll of the surf and put them live on a hook. look for pockets and troughs and pools of water along the shore at low tide for pompano.

If you camp, you might like Frisco Woods Campground http://www.outer-banks.com/friscowoods/ .

We stay there a lot and have very nice sites right on the sound. Cabin rentals are available too there.

This site has many links to info on beach access and tides and fishing reports etc. http://www.hatterasoutfitters.com/links.htm.

As for casting from the beach I would have primarily two rods. One rigged with a big spin cast reel loaded with 20 to 30 lb line for heaving bunker with a 6 to 8 ounce pyramid sinker and some 2/0 50-60lb leader hooks for red drum and bait rigs for blues and cobia. The other would be a speed casting rod and long cast spool spin reel for hurling a metal lure for the bluefish and spanish feeding frenzies. Hopkins No-Equal are a good choice of lure and cast a country mile on 12 pound line. be sure to spool on a shock leader of 30lb flouro leader material so you don't loose the lure to acceleration or the toothy critters, or have the 12 lb line saw your finger on the cast (a little finger protector is sold at most shops to keep that from happening too).

Here is a place that will set you up with all you need for tackle and info. on Hatteras Island http://www.friscorodgun.com/tackle.html . If you like a good seafood dinner, the Channel Bass restaurant in Hatteras village is very good and not too pricey last I knew. Also the Hatterasman drive in has great crab cakes. Bubba's barbeque right at the campground is very good in Frisco. If you get down as far as Hatteras village, you can go to the south end of town and get your vehicle on the Ocracoke ferry for free and drive down to Ocracoke Village for the shops and sites for the family. Fishing is good along the beaches of Ocracoke too.

The trade winds bait and tackle company is a good source of info there as mentioned above in a previous post.

Here is another site for tackle and info in Hatteras village. http://www.teachslair.com/the_roost.htm. they have charters and I used to camp there as well, but not sure if they are still operating a campground. They do have two brothers there who I have done some business with for tackle and tips. They are the Hissey brothers and they are well known outfitters and rod builders there. They can help you with the right stuff to get the job done.

Hope this helps, if you need more info on Hatteras island or Ocracoke shoot me a PM and I'll try to help in regards to fishing or places.

Mark