2nd VHF antenna

Looking at the possibility of adding a second VHF. Wondering about how close

I can mount 2 antenna's without having interference issues. If I keep the 2nd

one in a similar location to the first antenna, I've probably got about 3.5-4 ft.

Is that enough?

John

John, Are you trying to co-phase two antennas to one radio? Or using two radios on different frequencies with separate antennas? I will assume two radios to monitor and transmit on two separate antennae on different channels. If that is the case you may have some cross channel bleed over especially on 25 watt settings. Try to keep them as far apart as possible if that happens or you can try to angle the tips away from each other which will affect the DB gain or distance somewhat if not truly vertical to horizon. Also you may try to differ the tip heights from each antenna. If you only have 3.5 to 4 feet temporarily mount the antennae to check the performance, if it bleeds then you need more space between them somehow. What I have is a hand held and a fixed radio that don't really have the same "plane" of antenna transmit and those work together OK.

I have been a trucker for 33 years and co-phasing to one radio on AM band has always improved the forward and backward signal on a large vehicle for maximum gain front and back on the same road. Also it does away with shadowing from the large metal vertical surfaces that a truck has. Co-phasing requires a different cable RG# and then there is the signal to wave ratio to tune with a meter for optimum power output to the antenna. But that is all based on an AM band. I'm not sure how a co-phase would work for VHF but can't imagine it being much different.

Mark

did i just read that from a lyntuckyinnn dude yer smarter than you look er i mean good job saying whatever it was you said and ya spelt some big words i cant even read..Its Sir From Here On Out!!!!!

now bout that outhouse issue pluggin up i can help ya with trhat............get 2 long straws and suck it out.....thats how i do it.

Thanks Mark.

My thought was to have a second radio/second antenna to have the ability to

monitor 2 channels if I wanted too. I have a 23' with the antenna mounted on one

side of the hardtop....but I'm obviously leary about mounting a second on the

other side due to distance. Shakespeare rep told me today all I need was

3 feet (but said obviously more is better). Just hate to go out and spend the $200

and find out it doesn't do it.

Guess I'll ponder this a bit more.....

John

Boy them walleye guys must keep their tips short. I monitor 12 channels on scam opps scan with the newer radios it takes about 1 to 2 sec for total scan with lock on bout as fast as someone hits the mike.get 2 handhelds put a ear phone in each ear and carry on yer belt problem solved ..................................

..........................................................................Till ya want a third channel hmmmm where ya gonna stick that earbud :o ...... so how are things lookin so far for them walleyes this year ?????????????????

Ray K.

T2,

Agree with Ray, if you're getting good reception with the single antenna, I'd think you'd be better off looking for a radio with a programmable channel scan feature. When in scan mode they spend about 3 seconds on the chosen channel then move to the next chosen channel, if there's no signal on the 1st channel. (I think that is what he was trying to say)

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Ray:

I was up in Canada on my annual trip last week (SPANKED the pike), and then spent 3 days hoping Lake Erie would lay down over the weekend so I could get my boat in. Now aiming for Friday am!

Anyway, from what I'm told, the big warm up bumped the temps up, and that there

were good numbers of walleye in the 55-65 fow range not far from the harbor. I also

heard from a reliable source that the walleye from the western end are already on the move!

Hoping, weather permitting, to give it a shot Fri pm with my son, and over the weekend

with the "Two" crew.....I'll post if we do anything worthy.....

John