Owasco derby fathers day weekend

Had a great weekend! Went fishing with my dad and a guy from work who is a rookie to trolling. We did pretty good we put 15 or so (lost count) lakers on day one before the storm came through. after the storm the old man went home for the night and the rookie and I went out for a few more hours before dark. We only put one more laker in the boat. Sunday morning we changed our program to get into the browns and bows. We put 2 browns in the boat largest was 3lb 7oz by our scale, mid day we went back out for lakers, ended up with the two browns and six lakers. No money fish, but some quality time spent with the old man and the rookie got to haul some decent lakers in. This was his second time trolling and the first time i took him out we slammed them. He was getting bored with a fish and hour average on Sunday lol. We kept telling him it can get much slower than this. He got to take home a few nice fish for dinner and a hell of a sunburn lol. Great weekend, fishing was decent, we all had a good time.

We always fish this derby if we can fit it in.

Saturday hit the water on the South end at about 5AM and trolled up the West side. Quickly caught a small laker and and a rainbow while setting up. Fish were scattered in pods- took doubles in several spots followed by dry spell- we should have circled and worked the "fishy" spots, but I wanted to continue North to where I had had past success. Fished mostly over 120-140FOW. Finished the day with 12 lakers and one rainbow. Lakers included a 28" fish, but it didn't even weigh 7 pounds. Rainbow weighed 3-12 and took a small blue/white honeybee.

Bait pods were scattered over deep water about 40 foot down, but we never did find any trout near them. Fleas are starting to show up, but were no big deal.

Sunday was hot and calm and the fish simply weren't hitting. We finished with 8 lakers and a 3 lb. smallmouth taken 15 foot down over 150. Go figure.

Nice little tournament with 153 anglers. Lunker (which paid about $495 as I recall) was a 9-2 laker. Second lunker was a 9 pound pike. Categories included lake trout, rainbows, browns, walleye, perch, pike, smallmouth, largemouth and junior gamefish and junior panfish.

My little rainbow was best in class and paid $144.

Congrats on the rainbow! We noticed the same thing with the bait, lots of bait with no fish around it. I think i heard about your bass on the radio, I heard smallmouth carp and started laughing. It is a fun derby, we went last year also, and i'm sure we will be back again.