Pro Am Rules question(s)

Question #1 -

In reading all the posts and the rules I was wondering about this bonus laker.

Are you only entitled to a "bonus laker" after you have your 6 silverfish?? As everyone talks about getting the legal limit and then trolling around for a laker and catching bigger salmon.

So if I hook a laker prior to boxing my limit it's a throw back?

Question #2 -

I don't see the same verbiage for the am's as I do the pro's. It states in the pro section "first legal limit brought on board" which does not appear in the am section. Are they allowed to release fish like the am's if the fish is not netted?

Question # 3 -

What is a tournament legal lake trout? If it is over 18" I would assume it is a tournament legal lake trout because now you can keep 1 slot laker.

Thanks for the replies.

Clarke

HI Clarke,

I'll try to answer your questions in order.

#1. You may take your "bonus" laker at any time during the fishing day. A laker would only be a "throw back" if you already had one.

#2 The verbiage in the rules is not the same for Pros and Ams because the rules are different. For Pros the "first legal limit" brought on board must be kept and there can be no releasing of fish except, possibly, those falling in the 1/2 inch buffer zone. For Ams the limit is 6 fish (salmon, steelhead or browns). Fish may be released provided they are are not netted or brought on board the boat. We suggest simply grabbing the lure with pliers and popping the hook out without bringing the fish aboard. This rule was worded as such to allow the more successful Amateur fishermen to release small fish and keep larger fish and to allow the "less successful" Amateur fishermen to at least "feel" competitive. In the end, the best fisherman will still win.

#3. A "tournament legal" lake trout is any laker that is over the 18 inch minimum size set forth by the tournament. As you said, since there is no real slot limit now ANY laker over the 18 inch minimum qualifies as a tournament legal fish.

Hope I've helped. If you have any more questions feel free to call me at 716-390-0085.

Paul

Hey Guys,

Just wanted to piggy back on this topic. My friends and I are doing the Sodus pro-am (am divsion) this year and after reading some of the posts I still had 1 question.

My buddy docks out of Port Bay, can we pick our spotter up and drop ours off and leave from Port Bay at the designated start time? Or do we have to leave from Sodus? I imagine leaving from Sodus would be easier but we wanted to understand this correctly, before we made a decision.

Barnacle. good question i was wondering the same. Can someone help us out with this question. We are fishing out of Port bay and are not sure if the morning of the pro am do we have to leave from Sodus.

We are fishing out of Port bay and are not sure if the morning of the pro am do we have to leave from Sodus.

3. Tournament Limits:

§ Teams must enter and exit from assigned ports ONLY.