Waves

Hi folks,

I'm heading to Seneca for the first time tomorrow and was wondering whether there is a site where I can get wave height. Ontario and Erie are supposed to get 4's and I figured Seneca would be a better bet, but I don't want to waste a trip.

One other thing; are the grass mats that I read about floating around in the lake at random depths or are they mostly around the shores? Plans are to run riggers and dipseys w/ spoons and flasher/flys, but it seems like floating weed mats could be a real problem.

Thanks,

Doug

The weed mats are on the surface. The weeds right now are mostly around the points, but you may find them anywhere at anytime depending on the blow and wave action. They are much easier to see in calm water, but more difficult to spot when the lake is choppier. If you find a lot on one side of the lake your best bet would be to either go to the middle of the lake or on the opposite side which is what we do when it is impossible to fish because of them. At least those line clogging fleas are better right now.

The weed mats are on the surface. The weeds right now are mostly around the points, but you may find them anywhere at anytime depending on the blow and wave action. They are much easier to see in calm water, but more difficult to spot when the lake is choppier. If you find a lot on one side of the lake your best bet would be to either go to the middle of the lake or on the opposite side which is what we do when it is impossible to fish because of them. At least those line clogging fleas are better right now.

Thanks MikeyP! I've sort of got used to the fleas this year at Ontario, unless I'm bringing in a salmon and they clog the line untill I can't reel any more. I've lost a number of nice fish that way. Hope to start to figure out Seneca because it's less than three hours from my place and I can do day trips right through late fall. Do people fish this lake year round since it doesn't freeze?

Thanks MikeyP! I've sort of got used to the fleas this year at Ontario, unless I'm bringing in a salmon and they clog the line untill I can't reel any more. I've lost a number of nice fish that way. Hope to start to figure out Seneca because it's less than three hours from my place and I can do day trips right through late fall. Do people fish this lake year round since it doesn't freeze?

Yes, many of us fish the fingers all winter, though only certain landings remain open and 'ice free'. Certain precautions and a healthy respect for cold water issues should be observed.

Ontario fleas are actually easier to get off the line than the fleas on some of the fingers, not sure whats up w/ that! Seneca is probably gonna get bumpy tomorrow, especially by mid lake and on north. She can get nasty in a hurry!

It's dead flat right now the wind has been out of the NW and there are more weeds on the east shore with about 65' of 70+ * water. The west side has fewwr weed right now both the HUGE weed pods could be around thick enough to stall your troll. Fleas are still a pain if your not running 30# main line of FF line. I use this web site for wind and if it's 12 mph or less I OK to go 15 to 20 you better be looking for a area to help block it. here is the site

http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/getForecast?query=14860

If this hold up it should not be to bad.

I'm out of Lodi Point

Fleas are still a pain if your not running 30# main line of FF line. .

I'm out of Lodi Point

FF line?????? I'm running 30# PowerPro and flourocarbon leaders. Can the weed mats be seen so that I can avoid them? Is there any reason to stay in 70' or less of water up there? I'm assuming the fish are oriented more around temperature than structure so that I can troll anywhere in the thermocline. Should I pay more attention to bottom structure and troll the thermocline where it intersects the bottom?

Thx

I'm out of Lodi Point

FF line?????? I'm running 30# PowerPro and flourocarbon leaders. Can the weed mats be seen so that I can avoid them? Is there any reason to stay in 70' or less of water up there? I'm assuming the fish are oriented more around temperature than structure so that I can troll anywhere in the thermocline. Should I pay more attention to bottom structure and troll the thermocline where it intersects the bottom?

Thx

"FF" is flea flicker. I run 30lb Ande to the fc leader on my rigger rods, but the weeds will probably have you in & out of the water enough to keep the fleas cleaned off. :D I Don't know what you are running for dipsies but if you run braid , you might want to consider going to 65lb power pro for next year, it's the thickness of the line that inhibits the ability of the fleas to 'grab on'. The lakers will be anywhere from 60 fow to the middle of the lake, down 60-110, silvers will be scattered from the t-cline up, run cheaters for them & hope for the best- if you hit the LLs don't leave em, work the pod at the depth you found em. -Andy

I'm out of Lodi Point

Thx

FF Line is called flea flicker. It is made by the Cortland Line Company. It's very effective in keeping the fleas off your line. Others seem to have some success with 30lb Trilene Big Game. I'm not sure about the PowerPro since I don't know anyone using it. The trick seems to be the diameter and shape of the line. Cortland Flea Flicker is specifically made in an oval type shape which makes it harder for the fleas to stick to it. I hear some have good success with the Trilene and others not so much when the flea infestation is unusually heavy. I guess you can experiemnt with the PowerPro, but if the diameter is thnner than the Trilene it won't work as well.

I ran one rigger rod yesterday with 35# Tiger Braid and it was FULL of fleas. My 30# Ande only had a trace at the knot..... for the weed pods it will be a brown color , the smaller floater , strigers if yo look out at the water and it has a "shine" to it or looks flater you will find weeds in that area.

Is there any reason to stay in 70' or less of water up there?

The 70* of water I was trying to tell you about was off my probe 70* water 76* on top and still 70 65 feet down....... this was on the EAST side with a NW blow that just went thru pushing alot of warm water over to the east side could be differnt on the west................

I tried two posts that never showed up, so I'll try again!!

I'm from PA and this whole NY scene is new to me. I like the stiffness of braid, so I'll probably go with 65# PP line if that helps. The tips on depth are much appreciated. I hope I don't have to reset the riggers too often because my electric downriggers aren't in yet (on order) and I'll be cranking by hand. I'm launching at Watkins Glen and was told that the area around the salt plant is good. Any recommendations on areas or presentations?

Thx

Doug

just a heads up the Nascar race is this weekend with over 100,000 people in the watkins glenn area and when the race gets out its bumper to bumper till 8,,,;9.pm race gets over around 3 usually maybe 4 ,,,,every back road and main road will be plugged ...I hate to say this but ya might sit it out for this weekend......or Cayuga.. even the am trafic comming into town will be bad..........

just a heads up the Nascar race is this weekend with over 100,000 people in the watkins glenn area and when the race gets out its bumper to bumper till 8,,,;9.pm race gets over around 3 usually maybe 4 ,,,,every back road and main road will be plugged ...I hate to say this but ya might sit it out for this weekend......or Cayuga..

WOW......I didn't see that coming since I don't follow NASCAR. Would another launch be better or would you recommend Cayuga? Seems like my timing is off again.

just a heads up the Nascar race is this weekend with over 100,000 people in the watkins glenn area and when the race gets out its bumper to bumper till 8,,,;9.pm race gets over around 3 usually maybe 4 ,,,,every back road and main road will be plugged ...I hate to say this but ya might sit it out for this weekend......or Cayuga..

WOW......I didn't see that coming since I don't follow NASCAR. Would another launch be better or would you recommend Cayuga? Seems like my timing is off again.

What happened ????You give up on RAYSTOWN :lol::lol::lol:

What happened ????You give up on RAYSTOWN :lol::lol::lol:

Hey Mark, Long time no hear. I PM'd you to see if you wanted to head to Ontario and didn't hear back from you, so I figured you were busy.

I haven't given up on Raystown, but the pleasure bosters make me want to KILL. I also have lost enough hardware in that lake to stock a small store. You been doing good anywhere?