Jig Fishing?

Wondering if some of you who use Jigs in the finger lakes could give some info on what type of jigs you use. My parents have a cottage on Senace lake and have fished for over 20 years on this lake. I have lost interest in it, when the lake trout population became smaller and not being able to release them when pulling riggs. I am much more into the thrill of the fight and releasing rather than putting fish in the cooler. I realesed a lot more fish than I kept on the big pond and only fished seneca only twice for this reason.

I am by no means an expert on this topic, but I think most guys and gals these days are using plastics. Specifically tubes used for bass fishing and flukes (the rubber minnows made by zoom). I think color varies, but it seems as thought alot of people stick with white or pearl pattern, and I have seen reports with success using a "baby bass" coloration. I think it would be fun tinkering around with hair jigs and tying my own!!

Usually fish 3/4 to 1 oz lead jigs with the abovementioned soft plastics. On Seneca I think you'll be better off with the plastic though spoons will work. Like lt6 said, look for bait and stay near or on top of it. Don't be afraid to look and fish deep. Have fun!

ps winter you may also want to try 1 1/2 oz jigs for the deeper fishing.

I took advantage of the nice weather on tuesday, landed 1 laker around 6.5 to 7 lbs and had a lot of other fish interrested. The stiff south wind made it tough to stay on them though, If I could have stayed over them a bit longer I think I could of hooked few more. Saw pods of fish in 55 fow and lots in 74 to 85 fow on the southern edges of the points.