Fishfinder...

Guys,

I need some advice in going with a fishfinder with the boat my wife got me for fathers day. She got me a 1986 Penn Yan set to go out on the lake fishing, the only problem is that the fishfinder is an eagle z-9500, and I want to replace it with a Lowrance. I found a LCX-20c fishfinder with GPS on it and was wondering is it better to go with internal GPS or External, Single Freq or Duel Freq. It is a combo unit but I cant beat the price retails for 996.00 but I found it for 547.00 on clerance, so what do you think... Any help would be appreciated... And again The boat is in the water in Pultnyville so anyone who wants to get up with me and go, just let me know.

Woody5442

Guest ReelDiel

for that price thats a great unit. the dual or the single will work equally well for lake o. the single has a wider degree of coverage, and the dual has more power. Both will track your DR balls well I have a single unit and a dual and honestly the single tracks the DR balls a little better in most cases. The dual freq will mark fish really deep w/o a problem. I think the specs are close to as follows:

single 200khz. 500w RMS 32 degree of coverage

dual 50/200khz 500/1000w RMS and 19/10 degree of coverage

for that price i wouldnt wait. I think the only downside w that unit is instead of 640X480 pixels its 360X240 or something either way great deal for the price.

Guest ReelDiel

i have the external and it works flawlessly. the internal i heard there were reports of problems with the picking up the signal under a hard top or if a support beam or something was in the way......but if i can remeber right there are a few guys on this board running internal and they love em. I guess it really comes down to personal prefrence.

I have the internal and haven't had any problems. We have a softtop though. I had also heard about possible problems getting a signal with the internals. I got the internal because I didn't want the additional hassle of mounting the external. I wouldn't be afraid of the internal unless you have a hardtop.