oak leaf grubs??

after the b&b turney i was B.S.en with a gentelmen by the name of brooks and he infomed me that the seneca perch love the oak leaf grub. this the one time that i'm lost on a type of bait. i been looking for info. on this critter and can't find anything out about them. so if anyone is willing to share some basics with me i would apreciate it ... like..were to look for them,what do they look like,what color are they, how do you keep them,can you raise them, is there a limit on the number, can you cross state lines with them. then there is this group of questions..how do you hook them ,what size hook, do you jig them or lay them on the bottom or run them under a float. have been trying for years to figure the seneca perch out so it's worth the two hour trip up to fish for them,normally give up after a couple of hours and go back to trolling for trout! thanks in advance.....rollie

Oak leaf grubs look like olive green wax worms. You can find them yourself in a creek that runs through a woods that has water all season and is full of leaves in late fall. pick up leaves on the waters edge and you can find them there. Not all streams have them. To keep them alive, keep them in cool water with some leaves so they can eat. Google Crane fly larva and you will see pictures of them.

what we do is find a good stream (people keep them a secret!) and we take a couple guys and work our way from the bottom to the top. one man will set up downstream with our home made screen filter, the other couple of guys will go up stream just a few yards and work the stream bed with rakes and shovels, stirring up the leafs, rocks, and the muddy bottom. The oaks that come loose from our raking and shoveling will float down stream and get caught in our screen.

The screen is just a simple 2x4 frame maybe four foot long by 3 foot wide, we used an old screen door for the screen filter. Its best to set the screen where the creek necks down so that the floating grubs are forced into the filter.

This technique will allow you to get dozens of oak leafs in just a few minutes. The biggest problem is finding the bastards, but once you get a good stream get as many as you want. (im not sure on the regs).

We use a double hook rig and tip our small jigs with the oaks, right on bottom. We have been fishing with dozens of boats within casting range, yet we are the only ones getting double after double on nice cold water perch. The other fishermen know what your using and will beg for just a few! The oak leaf grub is the best bait for perch in my opinion. Plus on grub can catch more than one perch, they stay on the hook a lot longer than a minnow.

The tearm "oak leaf" might give ya a clue as to what streams and areas hold them...

McIntyre bait shop sells em for 70/80 bucks for 1000 if ya dont feel like playing in the water thats how I get them. Rt 414 beaver valley ny 7 miles north of corning. Think ive heard their is some law as getting them from a trout stream so dont go braggin you spot if ya find them ...

They keep them in cool moist leaves ,get em to wet and they rot.(drown)