Man Vs Moose Who won?

33canuck

Running Rebel thought I aughta post some details and pics to go along with my random post so here goes....

If there is one goal I had this year going into the season it would have been to take down the beast I called Moose. I have had my sights set on trying to tag this beast all summer, with multiple sightings and good trail cam pics I was able to determine his home turf and set the stage, the rest was up to lady luck and me being calm enough to make it happen. After a great opening morning sit with multiple sightings of doe, young bucks and a potential shooter I shifted for the afternoon sit a little closer to the food source. With steady west winds and warmer temps I knew activity would be limited to the last hour and I was right, about 5:30 4 doe worked their way toward me and into the beans the went, about 10 minutes later I hear the sound of disappointment in the form of a four wheeler puttering my way, the wheeler stops and I see a big deer trotting down the hill towards me and it stopped. Throwing up the Nikon Monarchs I immediately recognize the massive narrow rack, it's Moose, and he is standing 70 yards out! Now my heart is beating out of my chest and I'm shaking uncontrollable (got to love it!). After telling myself to calm down I look at him again. I'm thinking he is going to bolt any second as the wheeler stops and shuts down, then the wheeler starts back up and starts to creep along as if he had seen the beast cross the road. Moose doesn't appear nervous and starts to walk right at my morning set, Doh! But then he turns and commits to the trail leading right to me, he hits my 40 yard window I'm saying be patient and calm down, 30 yards same, don't rush it he is walking to you, he hits my 20 yard window and I'm at full draw, I bleat, he stops right behind a 12" beach tree. Oh man I'm at full draw for 5 minutes and had to let down. As he stands there I'm thinking he is 5 feet from catching my wind please let my insane scent control work. He starts to walk again I come to full draw, he is broadside but with twigs in the way I don't have a clear shot so I crouch all the way down to the squatting position, bleat, he hits the brakes and I touch the trigger and watch the Rage and fletchings bury right through the boiler room and into the ground on the other side. He wheels 180, runs up the hill, turns, runs back down and stops at the bottom about 45 yards from me looks around starts to wobble and tips over and it was all over and there I stood shaking like crazy still in disbelief that it really just went down like that. What a day one I surely will never forget. He is not the widest buck in the woods but what a beast with insane mass, palmation, and character points and more importantly the age structure of a big dominant buck I manage for and look to harvest. Good luck to all I hope you enjoy success as much as I did.

From the trail

ICAM0130.jpg

ICAM0003-1.jpg

To the end result!

IMG_1915.jpg

IMG_1906.jpg

IMG_1919.jpg

That story is as good as the results. THANKS!!!!! Man i love to see the pics before & up to & after...

I have been wondering were you been hiding. THANKS AGAIN for posting up.

EVERY ONES DEER OR just story should post up,

Jerry

Is that 2nd. cam pic , him going to his tree rub?

im waiting to tell my story but havent got the ending YET they just mowed the last standing corn today...maybe tomorrow..

great story and deer thanks................many days in the woods to tell a story like that... good for you..23 deg tomorrow gonna be tuff for you laying in bed while im shivering in my stand....hope your proud of yourself...........

That story is as good as the results. THANKS!!!!! Man i love to see the pics before & up to & after...

I have been wondering were you been hiding. THANKS AGAIN for posting up.

EVERY ONES DEER OR just story should post up,

Jerry

Is that 2nd. cam pic , him going to his tree rub?

Thanks gang it was awesome to see him coming in and even better to watch him hit the dirt! And yes RR, that cam I set up on the bug rub with a scrape under it I got pics of him 4 days in a row at that spot right up till the 15th obviously he didn't havea chance to make it there on thh 16th :D