Mendon Ponds Park (100 Acre Pond) - need advice

unsub

Saw a flier at Dick's a couple of weeks ago for an ice fishing derby at Mendons pond park. http://discovervictory.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=226:ice-fishing&catid=61:sports&Itemid=129. Thought I'd try it out to introduce the kids to ice fishing. I've never fished the pond before so I'm looking for pointers. Species available, what bait to use and where to get it, etc.

Thanks,

Pat

Pat, The pond is about 6-7ft. deep,with alot of perch and sunfish, small ones.There are also a lot of northern pike and LM bass, tipups and shiners for pike and spikes and jiggs for perch and sunfish. I get my bait at S&R bait shop at I Bay on Calver Rd. He's open at 6AM and I think till 9PM. It's all catch and release, I think the kids will have a good time. Mike. :)

The pond to be on is the northern one.The Southern one -Devils bathtub- is not properly frozen over.

The good places for pike are on the west side just south of the center shelter where the shore curves back westward.

There are lots of pike but none of them are very large.

Thanks Mike and rolmops for the info. I was thinking that you couldn't buy minnows from I-bay and transport them, but I just checked the DEC website and as long as they're certified and you keep the receipt it's all good.

I checked S&Ks biz hours this morning, there open from 6AM to 5PM (winter hours).

Hey LOU members,your all welcome to round up the Family Sat.morning for the second annual ice derby at Mendon ponds Sat.15th. 8AM-12noon. 100 acre pond only.Bring your own bait. Come early to sign up.

For more info. check unsubs post above.

The pond to be on is the northern one.The Southern one -Devils bathtub- is not properly frozen over.

The southern pond is Deep Pond. Devils Bathtub is very small and set away from the roads. 100 Acre pond -where the tourney is, is the large one to the north.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile.png