Downrigger rods

guys, I have a question about downrigger rods for smallish salmon and lakers. I fish out of a small boat with a pair of Cannon Uni-Trolls. I currently use ugly stick BWD 1101 8'3" light action rod and spooled up with 20 lb power pro. These are decent rods, but my problem is the rod is too stiff, and hooks tend to pull out when the fish roll and jump. I'm looking for a light action rod with slower action about 8' long. I checked out the eagle claw downrigger rod in medium heavy and it was a little bit too heavy and stiff. What else is out there for small fish? I know mono would help, but with braid its easy to see small fish that can't pop the release. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Daiwa makes a Kokanee Trolling Rod (HLD-KN862L) rate for 4-8 lb test, light action, 8'6". If used this for browns in the spring and walleye on Erie. This rod makes a 5lb brown feel like a monster. If you're looking for something a little heavier their Downrigger Trolling Rod (HLD-DR862M) is a med action and probably isn't as heavy as the rod you are using now. I think either of these rods are around $40 and I remember some one trying to sell them on here a while back. Good Luck.

Take a look at the Daiwa Accudepth series. Last Spring we bought 6 of these to pair with our Accudepth Plus 27LC's. I had Hearltand 8' ML action rods paired with those reels, but when they came out with the Accudepth series rods I noticed an 8'6" ML action version. We use these set-ups for our Spring BT trips. I was pleased with their action. Just look the ones you buy over for any imperfections. I have one, just one, where the real seat and the eyes are not aligned perfectly.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'm in Maine, and don't have a decent tackle store within reasonable driving range-nearest is Cabela's 2 hours away and they carry a lot of generic stuff. The Daiwa Kokanee sounds perfect for what I do. A five pound fish would be on the large size and a 10 pound laker (togue) is a trophy. I use a mono or floro leader about 6-8' long, usually 8lb, so the 20lb powerpro shouldn't be a problem. I assume the Daiwa downrigger rods are glass, not graphite.

Who on this site is selling these rods? I'd be happy to buy from site sponsors.

Edit: I just noticed the Kokanee is one piece, shipping must be pretty high on it. Is there a two piece rod that compares?

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the help with rod suggestions. I ended up with a pair of Okuma Celilo Kokanee rods. They seem to have a nice light action, with the advantage of graphite (ability to see shakers). Best of all, they were pretty inexpensive.

My next question is for a light reel to match the rods to. I have been using Daiwa Millionaire reels which are ok, but the drag doesn't have much range, and there isn't a clicker, so I have to thumb the line when letting it down. I'm looking for something small, light with a clicker and a drag that can be set light enough so that a 2-3 pound fish can pull some line when they want.

Seems like a lot to ask from a small reel, but with all the great reels out there now, I'm sure there are a few that fit.