wison harbor

dewey123

Hey guys, I went out today to wilson harbor because i heard good things about it. I tried out my new flasher and fish hut and stuff. I never fished wilson so I dont know if i was in the right area or not. I parked at the restaurant and drug my crap down the stairs and on the ice... i went to the right. Fished about the middle of the channel in about 5 foot of water. I didnt go out onto the harbor area i assume. where i was it was about 30 feet across or so with docks on both sides. I was using jigging raps tipped with minows forgot split shots fr my tip ups or they would have been out too. Anyways I wasnt there long and had some activity I was jigging away and a mark appeared on my flasher just under the ice and went down after my bait and ate it real fast. As i fought it i tried to tighten my drag and the fish got some slack and came off. I dont know what it was but it was fun. That was the only fish I had on in about 3 hours midday (11-230). I hit a few other holes i had drilled with little fish action on the finder and my rod. My question is am I in the right area? or should i have gone left and gone out to the big harbor area? If so is there an easy way to get a big sled/hut to the ice alone? Am I using the right stuff, Im very new to ice fishing this was my 2nd time out and 1st time alone. Any tips would be helpfull. Next weekend I am going to hed down to long point on chataqua and try to get my dad into some fish (he has never ice fished) but he is obsessed with walleye fishing and thought hed like this, can anyone give me a starting area/point/depth to start at on chataqua. sorry for the long winded post. -Eric

yes were looking for eyes . I saw some deep holes on a map near L.P. was kinda thinking that area. I have never fished chatauqua so i dont really know where to start. Im not just set on long point ill go to other areas its just one of the few places i know about

There is going to be an ice fishing contest February 5th at Wilson.

The whole harbor.

Sunrise til noon. Food afterwards.

Stop at the bait shop and talk to Pete.

Feather & Fur Taxidermy and Bait

3627 Wilson - Cambria Road ( Rt 425 )

Wilson, NY

716-425-3018

http://www.salmonshop.net/ice-fishing.html

PS. At Chautauqua lake I have done well on walleye with a jigging rap with minnow head.

Rap_jig.jpg

thanks kliph, i planned to use the jigging raps they are one of the few things i use. I have chrome and blue and the glow white with chart. head. The security guard for the place net to where I work was trying to get me to go to that tournament but i am going out to onieda lake that weekend. Sounded like fun and a good way to find some spots out on wilson wish i could make it. Im just hoping e fish perch/walleye on chatauqua with my dad to get him into ice fishing...when i say he loves walleye fishing, i mean it he literally talks about it all the time. But i guess im the same way about trout and salmon.