Fish Hawk X4 Interference on Humminbird???

thompsm7

I have a Humminbird 957c sonar. If I get a Fish Hawk X4 is there any chance the X4 triducer will interfere with my sonar? I would like to get a downrigger temp/speed sensor but certainly don't want to give up the performance of my Humminbird. I saw on their website that they recommend not using the 50Hz setting if you are seeing interference. Thanks in advance for your input.

I have used my X4 and my Humminbird quad beam 575 which uses 3 different frequencies together and there has never been a problem.The 575 and the 957C use the same frequencies. The X4 uses a 70 KHz frequency while the Humminbird quadbeams use 200kHz,83KHz and 455KHz,so there is no worry about 50KHz. Just don't put the 2 triducers side by side.My triducers are about 3 foot apart on the transom.

Awesome... How do you like the thru hull? I have been considering a thru hull Airmar B60 for my Humminbird but want to make sure its worth the extra money. I found mine still has some electrical interference I need to fix, but if the thru hull is really that much better, I certainly want it..

I like it however I never ran the unit with the standard transducer. I have the stainless thruhull. Shows great detail but I think I had the 50khz sensitivity up too high last season because I would get some interference when trolling around 2.8 to 3.1 mph. When we figured this out, I was done on Ontario for the season so I couldn't see how adjustments changed it.

Yankee Troller has the same transducer/setup on his old boat (he's who I talked to).

the humminbird sonars and the Airmar transducers do not work well together at all.First of all,humminbird does not use the 50KHz frequency,but also, the airmar uses a bit more power than the humminbird and it is known to blow the humminbirds.If you want a through hull transducer,stick with a humminbird.

Not sure where you're getting your information from rolmops, but Humminbird works quite well with Airmar transducers and they also use 50KHz frequencies if necessary. I have an Airmar thru-hull with 200/50KHz on my boat and have never had a single issue with either the Humminbird or the transducer. Yankee Troller has an Airmar thru-hull with his Humminbird and hasn't had an issue with it either. All one needs to do is match the proper transducer with the head unit you've purchased and install them and you'll be fine. A mis-matched transducer/sonar unit is never a good idea regardless of the brand.

thompsm7 - If you have questions about your Humminbird , PM me and I'll do my best to answer them. If I don't have the answer I'll talk to my contacts at Humminbird and get them for you.

First, to be clear, we are talking about the 900 series and higher units. These are higher power units (1000 watts RMS/8000 watts Peak). I don't know anything about the lower units other than that the owners manual for mine is for the 858c, 898c SI, 958c, and 998c SI. YT and I have the Airmar B60's that are flush mount, no fairing block.

Right in the Sonar Menu under the Transducer Select tab, you have the option to run a 50/200 dual beam transducer among others. All you have to do is tell/select the appropriate transducer in the menu.

Once you select the appropriate transducer, the unit adjusts your options in Sonar Menu under the Beam Select tab. You can then select 50/200 dual, 50 single, or 200 single on the unit and it does work.

Humminbird offers the upgrade to get the 50/200 thruhull from them which is their "deep water" transducer. Their other thruhull transducers are 83/200's. When I bought my 958, I looked into the upgrade to get the plastic flush mount thruhull. The deal was send in my unopened transom mount and money and get the thruhull. I forget how much the extra money was (maybe $50 or $75) but it was easy to rationalize getting the Airmar for around $125. Personally, I wouldn't want a plastic thruhull (humminbird or otherwise) in the bottom of my boat.