trolling line question

Hi guys,

I'm setting up a spread for early season Brown and Rainbow trolling that will serve double duty for late season walleye. I have a pair of Shimano Compre rods with Okuma Clarion 204 reels. I run mostly stick baits with Off Shore inlines. Which type and test line would you reccommend? Personally I'm leaning toward 20# Power Pro but I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks

Shooter

That set-up will work. Just add a barrel swivel (small enough to pass through rod and reel guides) to connect to florocarbon leader at the end before the lure. Leader lengths typically start at 10 feet and can be of any quality mono if you don't have fluro. Concept is to present that stickbait in a manner that the fish don't see the attached line pulling it. Because the water is shallow, they will be line and boat shy, but heavier lb. test can be used if pulling inside of a mud line. Lure loss is to be expected occasionally, especially when using lighter test to fool the fish.

Lure action is affected by line diameter, so always check action alongside the boat first. A rapalla knot to the lure is good, but so is a rounded end snap. I prefer the snap, it's easier.

Be safe, and catch a limit.

A 10-20 foot leader with 12-14 lb mono should be fine, then you don't have to buy floro which would cost 15 bucks or so... in addition to what don said

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile.png

That set-up will work. Just add a barrel swivel (small enough to pass through rod and reel guides) to connect to florocarbon leader at the end before the lure. Leader lengths typically start at 10 feet and can be of any quality mono if you don't have fluro. Concept is to present that stickbait in a manner that the fish don't see the attached line pulling it. Because the water is shallow, they will be line and boat shy, but heavier lb. test can be used if pulling inside of a mud line. Lure loss is to be expected occasionally, especially when using lighter test to fool the fish.

Lure action is affected by line diameter, so always check action alongside the boat first. A rapalla knot to the lure is good, but so is a rounded end snap. I prefer the snap, it's easier.

Be safe, and catch a limit.

"to present that stickbait in a manner that the fish don't see the attached line"..I'd post my own Fish pictures gallery

You can check out most oe search on http://www.google.com

Site links:

Braggin' Board

Saltwater Fishing

Freshwater Fishing

Fishing Women

DeepSea Fishing

Game Fish Pictures

BillFish Pictures

Trout Fishing pictures

Bass Fishing pictures

Salmon Fishing pictures

Walleye Fishing pictures

Catfish Fishing

Crappie Fishing Pictures

Striper Fishing Pictures

Grouper Fishing Pictures

Snook Fishing Pictures

Tuna Fishing Pictures

Tarpon Fishing Pictures

Cobia Fishing Pictures

Snapper Fishing Pictures

Halibut Fishing Pictures

King Mackerel Fishing Pictures

Barracuda Fishing Pictures

Fly Fishing Fishing Pictures

KayakFishing Pictures

BowFishing Pictures

Fly Tying Pictures

Spear Fishing Pictures

Ice Fishing Pictures

Rod Building

Taxidermy Pictures

Great reply because I was going to post a similar question and you covered it. Thanks. Bump for you.

Fluorocarbon does have a shine/sheen to it that I can seen relected, but not sure how the sheen appears deeper in the water. Manufacturers have recognized the shine factor and are starting to add coloring to dull the sheen. Personally, in the green waters of Niagara county and summer fishing on Lake Erie, green mono is invisible and costs MUCH less. I don't put as much importance on Fluoro unless it is in larger diameter applications such as with leader materials for flasher/flies or copper/leadcore because it sinks. I have found smaller diameter fluoro line strength to be suspect compared to mono. Personally, I feel more attention should be paid to the business terminal tackle end more so than the line. Having an invisible leader means nothing if you put a big, ugly swivel that inhibits the baits action ahead of the lure. :beer:

whentrollin for browns in summer conditions 50-90 ft water i run the same line (17-30 lb) as i use for salmon and never have any problem with #'s of fish hooked up (and landed).

My theory and you might try with softer than mono , braided line. Is in the spring yer fishing in very stained water ,yes the fish can see somewhat ( a few inches to feet) .

But due to the (camo water) their in i think they hear (feel) the bait (lure) comming and get into position for a good ambuse (in front of lure) waiting for it to appear a few inches from their face ,with their sences on high allert ready for their meal if they get it in the face or across their body(stiff fishing line ) before the meal gets there then they "spook" (sometimes) ....maybe this comparison will help the hunters """ your sittin under a oak tree hearing a deer walk in the brush waiting for it to appear,you have been getting pelted on ocassion by acorns so you kinda ignore them fallin on and around you ...just as the deer comes in view a small branch(twig or mouse) falls on you...are you gonna stay focased on the deer or jump like a girl and blow your oppertunity.....................

Most spring browns are smaller (younger) 2 to 8 lb fish and (most) have never been hooked or have seen a fishing line in their life to associate with danger,but reacte on their instinct of latteral line,and touch,and sound,,,,,,,,,,,,, thus plainer boards,smaller softer line.or stealthy approace.................

next time yer on a dock or bank and see a fish in the water toss a tiny pebble behind it they dont see it but the commotion is small enuf they know it doesnt "feel" big enuf to move much if at all....toss in a small rock they still dont see it but their latterial line sends a "message of danger" to thier brain and their gone in a flash...............

\

I agree with Gill-T. For the swivel aspect, I think that is most critical. A rounded end on the swivel/snap is important to me. Using black rather than silver has been more productive for me. Will be trying red this year to see if it makes a difference.

A swivel at the lure appears too bulky to me, so I use a snap instead. Several feet ahead of the snap, I use a barrel swivel in the main line to minimize line twist if the lure becomes fouled causing spinning of the lure.

IMO the smallest swivel possible should be used as this is somethind else the fish can key onto. It doesn't have to go through the rodtip eye, because you have up to a rod length of line from it to the lure, but size does matter (strength and visability).

Often overlooked is the business end of a lure. The hook color, configuration (treble/siwash effects the weight and action) are crucial. One of my favorite deep spoons is a Purple/holo/glow NK. Once, I had one of the silver trebles break and I replaced it with a dark Owner treble.........and the spoon died. I have yet to take a fish on it despite the same spoon with the stock silver treble firing nearby. I think at depth, the silver hook looks like a tail and adds action. Conversely, in shallow water, I have better luck with dark hooks. I have witnessed many times in spring-time pier fishing, browns following a spoon while nipping at the hooks. I think fish focus more on the bait and less on the line.