4/24 - Yankee's Easter Trip

With the Spring King of the Lake in Dalhousie just a week away I spent my Easter making sure our tackle was in tourney mode. However, before I spent the whole day down at the Wilson Boatyard a few friends jumped on board to do a little fishing.

We pulled away from the dock at 7am and headed East out of the chute. We set up a Brown Trout program, and headed down to the red barn in search mode. The water was complete mud for about a quarter mile, and then it gradually got better. It may still have been a little too dirty, but we spent a few hours in there anyway. Even with the extra dirty water we managed some action in there. We took a few Brown Trout and a few Coho on our troll down and back. Our best sticks where white/chartruse, which we have found to be a great color pattern in that dirty water. Rattlin’ Rogues and Rapala’s in the F7 size took most of the fish. The last Coho of the morning was your typical Coho. We had a red Brad’s Thin Fin down the chute 50’ back. This fish was 12-14†long and when he hit the rod slammed down like a 20lb King just whacked it. It was pretty exciting!

We would pull offshore about 9 or 10 o’clock so I could get used to running some wire divers in their new positions on the Trojan, because we set this boat up a little different than the Bayliner. When we hit 40 or 50’ of water the screen jut lit up and it was solid marks all the way out to 80’. We were slapping our Humminbird thinking it was broken, because we never moved a rod trolling through that for an hour! That’s all the time we gave it and it was time to head back to the dock.

The rest of the day was spent spooling up our downrigger rods with some fresh McCoy Mean Green fishing line and fluorocarbon, putting twilli-tips on the wire diver rods, spooling up some short cores, putting away the Brown Trout stuff, and a list of other things. It’s off to Dalhousie on Thursday. We are super excited to fish our first tournament of the season. Let’s hope the Kings show up to play with all this unstable/cold weather Mother Nature has thrown at us this Spring.

2011-04-24_08-12-29_693.jpg

2011-04-24_11-27-50_56.jpg