Billy V in Wilson - April 30, 2011

Today the guys from Krenzer Marine towed the boat down to Wilson for us. We met them at the Wilson Boatyard at about 11:30am and then drove over to Tuscarora State Park, where we launched the boat. The boat trailered really well, and all we had to do once she was in the water was put the nets and antennas up and start the engines. Jay and I were anxious to start fishing so we headed right out front and set up in about 50FOW. There was a ton of color in the water - chocolate brown on the shore, coffee colored water just outside that, and some greenish outside that. We set up in the greenish water and within 5 minutes had our first two fish in the boat, both Lake Trout. Late April/early May in Wilson is often a lake trout fishery, and this whole weekend was no exception. Jay and I ran a simple 4 rod program - two riggers and two divers, but at times we swapped out one diver to run some copper, which didn't produce for us at all.

We took fish on riggers from 20-50' down pulling spoons - the NK Glow Frog and Die Hard were both hot for us. We also took fish on divers on a 2.5 setting out 120-150' pulling Spin Dr./fly combos. Our best combo was the new Siggs Rigs Gangster behind an 8" Green Spin Dr. Like I mentioned earlier, most of the fish that we took were Lakers, but we also managed a King, and Atlantic, and a Coho today as well. It sure felt great to see that first silver fish come to the boat!

Atlantic.jpg

king.jpg

The water was moving all day long and as long as we stayed in the good colored water we took consistently took fish today in 50-70 FOW.

Something I wanted to mention to you guys here - be sure you have sunglasses on at the back of the boat. I was reminded of just how important they are today when Jay had a big laker right at the back of the boat and the hooked pulled out and hit me in my right eye just as I was about to net it. Thankfully I had on my sunglasses and my eye is OK, but I have a big welt directly over my eye. My glasses took the brunt of the hit and I'm positive I would've had an eye injury if I hadn't had my glasses on - that hook came out so fast and hit me so hard that it nearly knocked me over and it made my eyes water. So please, be careful at the back of the boat and wear something to protect your vision!

Nice report and thanks for the safety tip, too. Really struggling with the decision to stay in Rochester and brownie fish or head to Wilson for the 2nd half of the week......every report helps. Thanks.

That is a rule on my boat....all netters have to have eye protection. Glad the shakedown went well. Wish water conditions were better, but 70mph gusts on Thursday reeked havoc on Erie water.