Lake Ontario Spring Lake Trout???

id like to try lake trout fishing on lake o, in particular out of oswego and fair haven this spring. my goal is to catch a lake trout over 10lbs. ive never fished for them in the spring. what should i be looking for to locate fish? are they still bottom/structure oriented? id appreciate any tips. thanks alot, mark

Mark,

Lakers are found on the bottom most of the time. Not sure about that area but I find a lot of lakers on the bottom from 90 - 200 fow. Troll slow .7 - 1.8 with cowbells and peanuts or spin-n-glows. Let it down until you hit bottom lift a foot, let it settle and repeat. Once the ball hits bottom again, keep it within 5' of the bottom. I like keeping mine 1' off the bottom. It is a lot of work but it puts fish in the boat. Depending on the area, lakers will be on large flats or structure. For example, where I fish near Sandy Creek in Hamlin, I find more lakers on structure. When I was off of I-bay, I would find lakers on deep flats.

In that area all the way to sodus i find 100-140 right on the bottom to be most productive. Cowbells and flashers as he said but also mag green glow spoons work

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] mobile.png

Or, you can head out to Olcott, Wilson or the Niagara Bar while the laker fishing is still hot. Throw just about anything in the water anywhere in the water column at just about any speed right now and just try to keep them off the hook :lol: