Looking for Canandaigua Lake fishing tips

Hi everyone,

My family is going to be staying by the lake early this summer before it gets too hot and I am looking for some fishing tips. I'm pretty much a novice when it comes to fishing (mainly pan fish from small lakes and ponds with a crawler and float, certainly nothing complicated) but I would love to catch one of the lake trouts I have seen you all posting about on here over the past few years! A big bass (to me anything over 2 pounds would be big) would be great too. I have done a lot of research on my own and so far it sounds like for trout Sutton silver spoons seem to do well tied to a 3-way swivel with a 2-3 ounce weight on one side. Any other tips or lures you can help me with? I also saw that a Church Revelator and A Tom Mik Hammer fly seems to do well, but can't find where to buy online. Is it unreasonable to think we can have some decent luck from the shore?

Thanks so much for any info you can give. We're so excited!

Treefrog33

• 2 weeks later...

Try some 3 and 4 inch pearl and white sliver flake flukes on a 3/4 oz. Northland glow jig. Fish off the points. Vertical jig. If you see suspended fish on the electronics fish in that depth or from the bottom to slightly above that depth. Sometimes spray scent and/or a buck shot rattle in the fluke will help. Try your trolling rig with a med. size silver or gold Rapala with 1 large treble hook at the tail instead of all the little hooks. Try Xraps and Rapalas around stone piles near the shoreline for smb. Work a Spro frog through the weeds for LMB. You'll catch some big pickerel while trying for bass so you'll want rather heavy mono or they will bite off. Have fun. Consider catch and release on the game fish.

Trakndwg thank you so much for your reply! What pound test do you think I should stick with? I think one reel I have right now has 10 pound test, but I need to get another one anyhow. What do you think? Had no idea about the pickerel, that's so exciting! How big we talking?

Thanks again, and we will definitely be doing catch and release so others get the same thrill we hopefully get :)

• 2 weeks later...

The Revelator and Hammer Fly is a flasher fly rig used while trolling with dipsies, downriggers, or copper.

100_0733.jpg

Unless your boat is rigged for trolling you would be best suited for jigging for lakers.

Using your sonar to locate fish then vertical jig with heavy jigs 3/4 oz to 1 1/2 oz tipped with flukes or other plastics, using braid instead of mono ensures better hookups. Without an electric trolling motor to hold steady over fish calm days or early mornings will be best.