Minnkota trolling motor trouble

jcar585

Hi just looking for advice. Bought a 78 glastron hp154 as a project. Hoping to get it ready by july. Boat came with a bow mount trolling motor that the previous owner said worked the last time he used it ( 10 years ago) when i hook it up it makes a clicking noise in the head but wont run. Anybody know any tricks i could try or is it most likely a waste of time?

When you open the head,you will find a lot copper switches and connections. Just spray those with some contact cleaning fluid.That will take the corrosion off. Also open the bottom end and clean and oil the bearings. Try running it again while the thing is open.That will give you a good idea as to where more attention is needed. I had one that I fished up out of Pamet harbor (salt water) that had been there a month or so.I cleaned it off and replaced the bottom bearings.For all of $20 I now have a good running trolling motor.

Thanks rolmops. I'll give it a try. Been reading some other posts on trolling motors this morning and i'm wondering how many times the motor has gotten water in it and froze over the last 10 years. Might be a miracle to get it going. Found an affordable used evirude on craigslist but you dont hear much about evinrude trolling motors, so im not sure.