? on power pro braid

I lost 4 divers on saturday due to line breaks on my 30# braid from power pro, i had to respool my reels the night before, couldnt find any suffix 30# braid that i used last year with no problems, i tied a snap lock on the end with a palomar knot that i know is best to use with braid, i did bump bottom on occasion and at time of breaks but i did not think that was significant to break the lines, i did notice that the breaks occured near or at the knot also all 4 times the line broke we were releasing the release to bring in. any suggestions would be appreciated, losing that much tackel was very expensive

That's a very rare thing to have 30 pound power pro braid break that easily. If you could tell more about the snap swivel like what type of ring is on it either welded or is it split ring.

#1Always use welded with power pro because it will not abrasion or allow the thin diameter of the line to "sneak" out through the split.

#2 try a double improved clinch knot on the ring. power pro is very slick and will pull out on any knot that is not double wrapped around the eye of a hook or ring. you make the double improved clinch the same as the standard clinch except you first double the line back on itself and then pass the doubled line through the ring and tie it carefully the same as a standard clinch. Now you have the double wrap on the ring you need to keep it from slipping.

I'm saying this mostly because I believe that if you are using a welded ring snap swivel, that you are probably experiencing the palomar slipping out and not breaking.

Hope this helps, I feel your pain on tackle loss. I have never had power pro fail to have very strong integrity and a lot of my reels are still spooled from 5 years with the same line. However I do reverse my reels each year.

Mark

Fast and Silver...

I'd have to wonder about the integrity of the knot first. I've run PP 30lb braid

on L. Erie for the last 4 seasons. I have had 1 break off, and that was due to

an apparent cut in the line, as it was in the middle of over 150 feet of line out.

John

I have seen braid and PP fail in many cases under pressure 6" above the knot. When jigging tuna, we experienced clean breaks 6 inches above the fluoro to braid knot. Now this was with 65 pound but it happened alot. Using color coded lines and tying our own leaders, it is easy to tell that the line break is just above the knot. Many of us on the salt feel that extreme pressure is forced on that portion of the line for some reason and something has to give. In this case, the line. This has happened with 40 pound tuna and 100 pound tuna. We originally thought it was from the tail banging against the line but when we began using 30 foot fluoro leaders, the problem still remained.

It would be my guess that extreme pressure was placed on that portion of the line if it was not compromised or frayed due to banging bottom. On the salt, we switched to Cortland 2 years ago.

UPDATE: it was bugging the heck out of me why it was breaking, i was sure it wasnt my knots, remembering back 15 years ago when braid 1st caught popularity i had bought some fire line when i tournament fished for bass and on the hook set i would break off, come to find out i could snap the line every 12inches or so, apparently it was a defect, so i took 10 ft sections off my diver rods and tied on a swivel on each end, hooked one side to sometheng stationary and the other to my bow scale and pulled, the 1st line broke in the middle at 7lbs, the next 2 broke in the middle at 22lbs and the 4th broke at knot at 27 lbs, just to see where a mono line would break i tied up 20# fluro leader and that broke at the knot at 29lbs, to say the least i was beside myself, i called bass pro (where i had bought it), they said to bring it in and they would replace it, and they did, i happened to google this problem and it seems to happen alot, something to do with how they make the line, unfortunatly the only other braid they had at bass pro was spider wire, i put 50# on, hopefully that works untill i change over to wire.