Lowrance hd5

Any tips for tuning this unit. Second year with it. Not marking cannonballs. Tilted the transducer back this spring but still don't see the balls. Just wondering if they are blowing back further than the cone. only using 10# balls. I would think I would at least see them as I am lowering or raising them. Any info would help. Bill

I have the Hds 7 but its the same transducer. I too run 10lbs balls. I find that most days I can't see my balls because of blow back but depending on speed and currents all 3 will be in view. You can reduce blow back by using heavier weights. You can also angle your transducer back further but I don't like doing this. I just like know my exact depth. You should be seeing them on the drop down. I generally run 1.7 to 2.4 mph at the ball to give you an idea. At 1.7 you should be seeing your balls on the screen. I don't know how long your booms are on the downriggers but I would adventrure to guess I keep mine 30 in. off the back of the boat. If your extending them out further that could be your isssue. Also the deeper you run the more blow back your going to have.

I run my sensitivity 80 to 92%. Hope this info helps.

I have the HDS5 also. I see the weights if Im trolling slow, if I speed up I loose the lower cannonball. I run mine with auto sensitivity on and at 83khz. I keep the transducer level, no tilt. Tried playing with all the features for a day on the water and got no where, it seemed to make it worse (not a very user friendly unit in my opinion)

If you are having trouble with the adjustment put on a set of vertical blades as it will help with the learning curve. If it doesn't light up the screen than you have made a bad adjustment.

You might want to reset the unit and start fresh.

The only problem I have encountered with the hd5 is when I run 2 sets of vertical blades on two different riggers and I end up loosing the bottom signal. If this happens I restart the unit and it usually comes back online correctly.