Owasco 7/8/11 not such a succesful day

Well I vowed I would post all my reports good or bad. I could not wait to be on the water all night for a chance to catch a walleye. I looked at some reports from last year for Owasco and oneida Lake. I read Hookedups reports and I really just got antsy after that :inlove: So Steve, Josh and I launched at Emerson park around 4am to see if would could catch some of those eyes. There was a light S wind all morning. We started with all stickbaits of different brands but mainly Rapalas. I started at 1.8 to 2.0 MPH at the ball. I frequently changed my speed eventually going a little slower. I marked a lot of fish off bottom 35 to 45 fow. Nothing, nothing and nothing :( So about 8am we switched out to warm harnesses and slowed way down between .5 to 1.7mph. I kept working one point in praticular cause of what I was marking but I could not buy a bite. By ten it started to get really sunny but there was still a good chop on the water. Eventually we hooked up on this Jack perch about 15" :o We kept at it not giving up but nothing after that. I tried out deep for a bit but could not find anything out there. No bait but a few marks 80 plus ft. I switched my program out and tried for the bows out deep but again I could not find bait out deep. I packed everything up around 2, I think. We then got some icecream in Kingferry.

This trip had to be single worst adventure trolling yet but it beat work by a long shot. ;) It was my first time trolling for Walleye but I thought I would still pull at least one out. I only worked the N end mainly the East side. We did travel 5miles south of the N end but that was the farthest we went.

hey rob, i gave the walleye 3 strikes this year and saw(didnt catch) only one walleye for my efforts. they are officially fired! its definitely changed out there in the last couple years. who knows, maybe that will benefit the trout fishery. best, mark

On Owasco lake you fish on the south end when you have a southern wind and on the north end when there is a northern wind. That way you will catch browns ,rainbows,eyes,pike and even some lakers at the outer edge of the weedbeds from 24 to 35 feet down. I usually have a lot of good catches with mooneyes which every species in that lake loves.

As for walleye,that is for people who can't catch salmon.

You had the right plan. Ditch the cranks put on some small yellow or purple spoons on 4, 5, and 6 color core. Find the bait out deep, start looking in deep water just North of center of Lake then head South. Once you find some bait in the top 40ft pound it in figure eights. Run your normal speeds 1.8 to 2.3 you will get them on the turn. The crappy weather days seem to be best but two years ago I pounded them at 1pm on 90 deg day. I have not got to fish Owasco yet this year but you got me wanting to get some eyes now. It will be the last of them now that they are done stocking them. Sean