Eastern Basin Lake Erie

walteye

Fished Dunkirk and Barcelona July 10-14-being kept in by Small Creft Advisories on the 12th-even though I would have gone out in 3-5's-nothing unusual for Erie, but my wife was fishing with me....

Went out of Dunkirk on the 10th-nothing on the screen til i trolled enough west to the Barcelona area. On the water at 6:30 am and did not put a line in the water til 10:30 am. Had a 2 hour bite that yielded 5 eyes-all in the 8 lb size-I was a happy camper and knew to put in the next day @ Barcelona.

Monday, Wednesday and Friday all yielded AT LEAST a 2 man limit a day, with Tuesday being a blow day. Watermelon harnesses worked best-fishing 110 fow-early am fishing 30' down and gradually going down during the day. I always had a slide diver @ 80'- and hooked up at least one eye a day at that depth running perch colored small Chatterstix. Our biggest eyes ( 9 1/2 and 10 1/4 lb) came on a rig with a spoon that runs a 12" leader to a crawlwr harness-all in the watermelon coloration. The most eyes came on a harness that my wife wanted to make so it was "pretty"!!! Darn thing was copper blade with a purple and black edge-along with green and yellow beads and MAN! did it catch fish!!!! I don't know where I bought the blades-but sure wish I did.

Walteye

Excellent work. We had a fun time this last weekend in ashtabula. Wow that water is warm, and that school 8 to 10 miles out is gonna be pushing hard toward barcelona and dunkirk. 30 feet down not bad at all. Any idea on speed? I figure about 1.4 to 1.8?

Mark-speed was 1.8 to 2.2. Ran lead 5 color and when deeper I attached a 2-3 oz snap weight besides the slide diver. Monday and Thursday we were fishing in 4' waves-so the surges kept the speed fluctuating.

Walteye

Nice on the leadcore. I used to use leadcore and snapweights on the big river system. man, did that track good. Crazy ivan all the time with no tangles.

With the surges though, wouldnt mono be better than leadcore? That stretch sucks up a lot of that surge pull between the board and the snap.