Failed Release/ Going Belly Up

Unfortunately it happens. I've never lost a muskie this way but I have had several big pike that didn't make it. It sucks but it happens. Most often during the highest water temps of the year in summer. You all know the routine, work with them at boatside forever but sometimes they just die on you.

For several years now the bass guys on the pro circuit have been using chemicals in their live wells to prevent stress induced mortality, why not for muskies?

Of course we do things a bit differently than the bass crowd. We don't purposely keep a livewell full of fish with the intention of taking them (sometimes several miles away) to a weigh-in and then release them.

It got me thinking, even though I don't have a livewell in the aluminum or on the party barge that having a big enough livewell with a powered aerator and using this revival chemical the bass guys claim success with might just save a muskie's life too.

Link~

http://www.basspro.com/Catch-and-Releas ... 0/-1326493

Anytime you take up a firearm, bow or fishing rod to hunt or fish you except as a predator that you will potentially kill something. Unlike other predators we have morals and often choose to find a creature alive is worth more than one dead. However, nothing lives forever so do your best on CR for muskies and don't beat yourself up over it.......it was the fish's time.

that sounds like a good idea...the only thing is would most live wells might not be able to safely hold anything over 40-45' without it thrashing around and beating its head against the wall?

LOL. If it's lively and thrashing then maybe it is time for it to go back in the lake?

I think it would be worth a try. What's the alternative? None.

Obviously it would take a 50"+ livewell, available on very few production boats (Tuffy Boats maybe the only manufacturer?) so that means customizing your own but it's not hard to lay up mat & resin in a plywood box.

Maybe saving a few is better than watching them die. Just a thought I might incorporate into my next boat.

Large livewells in muskie fishing are nothing new, the question I'm kicking around is whether the revival chemicals would work with Esox.

http://www.tuffyboats.com/boats/EsoxMagnum