Speed Jigging Brown Trout Yesterday

We speed jigged Sting-0 jigs and shimano Butterfly Jigs raising well over a dozen really big browns right to the surface from deep water. Even after the cold front and shifting winds, these fish were highly interested but the fish were off. This style of fishing works for Kings and browns I already know but to see them follow right to the boat was unbelievable as water temps at the surface were 76 degrees.

Ted Dobs from Lake Ontario Outdoors Magazine was in total shock. He had one on for a minute but it came unglued.

I have been speed jigging kings for years and after consulting Greg of Top Gun Charters (another guy that jigs) last night, I am ready for them. we'll see if my video shows following fish. God, I hope so.

Like to know more about your technique for in the finger lakes. I am not a fan of trolling and using downriggers. Jigging sounds more exciting and more like site-fishing!

Do a search back thru the FLX forum for posts on jigging. I and others have made some very detailed posts about the technique and tackle that is required. -Andy

I was actually shocked fishing with Chris yesterday. I knew the technique worked, but not that well. It will definitely work on any of the Finger Lakes. Use your mapping in a GPS or a quality mapping chip to find break lines. Find some bait on the graph and drop down a butterfly jig. There is a ton of detailed data online.

To see 10+ browns chase the jigs down in the ultra clear water after it laid down from the storms was incredible. Im sure a sporadic barometer plaid a factor in the bite and them not connecting. Jigging for fish is most likely the oldest fishing technique in the world. To see it re-born again in a Great Lakes application was a breath of fresh air after a 100,000 miles of trolling.

I know it will be a up and coming technique, especially for those who want something new. Perhaps not for those who want a 20+fish a day, but something anyone can do with any boat.

I know there may be doubters, as I have had people already ask me if its so great why haven't we been doing it? The answer is simple. First, they have been doing it for awhile, especially out west. Remember we are a secret society so many people keep it under there hat. Secondly we didn't have the mapping technology to find contours, fluorocarbon leaders, or hollow-core to allow us to effectively jig in open water.

This Salmon season should be very interesting this year with a open water jigging rod in my hands.

Ted Dobs

Lake Ontario Outdoors

Like to know more about your technique for in the finger lakes. I am not a fan of trolling and using downriggers. Jigging sounds more exciting and more like site-fishing!

Do a search back thru the FLX forum for posts on jigging. I and others have made some very detailed posts about the technique and tackle that is required. -Andy

Again, this technique has been honed to perfection on the FLX for years now . On the FLX we've had plenty of 20+ fish days, mostly lakers but browns respond well too w/ an occasional Atlantic. Do a LOU search, tons of good, practical info right here or get in touch w/ John Gaulke if you want an expert tutorial at http://www.fingerlakesanglingzone.com/

thanks Chowder, I will look at those forums but excuse my ignorance. What is GLX forum? Speed Jigging is successful on the Finger Lakes. We use to use crippled herring and white tube jigs many years ago. When Shimano unveiled their Butterfly Jigging system some 6-7, maybe 8years ago, I was sent to LO and the Finger Lakes. A guy named Toby Wood took me to Seneca during a blow day on the big pond. Toby, my brother and I put a beating on the lakers with 84 by noon. Speed jigging caught twice as many fish as white tubes and other jigs but primarily because we were able to make more drops and retrieves than the traditional style of jigging and the use of white tubes. I will pull my data on the quickness of jigs and their fall rates from that project for Shimano. But, If I recall, it took twice as long for a white tube to hit bottom vs the butterfly style jig due to it's design.

And, I got some video from yesterday. I'll work on that tomorrow. I have a ton of butterfly jigging video, if you wish to see it, I will get it on here. But it is mainly saltwater fish. Look at the technique and cross it into your way of fishing.

Hi Chris,

I am definitely interested in seeing the video. We jig lakers off the Bar in the Spring and trout down in the the FLX off and on all season, but our attempts to jig L. Ontario have met with several obstacles. The most pronounced of these are the wind and the current. My 17' Mr. Pike would be a better boat for jigging, no doubt, but most of the time we're trolling out of the big boat first, and jigging second. Even so, on the calm days that we've tried it, there's generally so much down current that it's tough to stay vertical, or even have any idea what's going on down there.

Any tips would help. I'd love to see the video, and I really think that this would be a great way to diversify.

Gator

Hi Chris,

I am definitely interested in seeing the video. We jig lakers off the Bar in the Spring and trout down in the the FLX off and on all season, but our attempts to jig L. Ontario have met with several obstacles. The most pronounced of these are the wind and the current. My 17' Mr. Pike would be a better boat for jigging, no doubt, but most of the time we're trolling out of the big boat first, and jigging second. Even so, on the calm days that we've tried it, there's generally so much down current that it's tough to stay vertical, or even have any idea what's going on down there.

Any tips would help. I'd love to see the video, and I really think that this would be a great way to diversify.

Gator

Speed Jigging employs the use of specially designed jigs made to slice through the water when used with braid. It was originally designed to catch Tuna 300-400 feet down. I will work on video today after I catch up from being away for 10 days. Sales calls comes first.

FLX is the fingerlakes section of this forum

Thanks Big Dave.

I just put three videos up on my site at www.ardentangler.org

Most of my video kept locking up on me but I made one short video for starters. I also placed some educational jigging video from tuna fishing a couple years back. I know its tuna and not Great Lakes but the techniques and lures are the same. The reel retrieve, rods and reels as well as jigs are downsized.

More to come, trust me!

• 6 months later...