Back from Ontario Bear Hunt

Hookedup

I spent the last week in Northern Ontario bear hunting with Mike McNay from Cantraps Northern Adventures. My wife, daughter and myself had a blast hunting with Mike and his wife Kelly. We rolled into town on Saturday morning and by 2pm my daughter and I were in our stand. Mike had told us that a few big bears were around the area so I told him we would hold out for a good one. Well at 3 PM I see my eight year olds eyes pop out and look over my shoulder at a nice bear over 200 about 5 yards from the stand. We spent a good half hour taking pics of that bear. She loved it and from that moment on she was on watch, we passed on two more bears that afternoon. At around 730 pm the big guys stepped out of the woods, after a long wait by both of us we got a nice quartering away shot at 60 yards and put down a great 400lb boar. It was a great hunt and to share it with my daughter made it a day I will never forget.

IMG_7624.jpg

IMG_7643.jpg

So now I am in camp all of 8 hours and I am done with my hunt. My wife Tina also was hunting it was her first time big game hunting and was a trip she will also never forget. A morning later I sat in the stand with her in a Hang on I had hung about six foot above her stand. First thing in the morning a big bear steps out and checks the wind and drifts off into the brush too quick for a good shot from a new hunter. About a half an hour goes by I’m half asleep when I hear her pulling the hammer back on the Thompson 270. I look over my shoulder to see a big bear in the clearing. This bear slipped around in the brush like a fox for over 20 minutes before it finally gave her a broadside shot. One shot through the heart at 50 yards and her bear was in a pile not twenty yards from where he was hit. I was so excited for her I almost stepped off my stand. Her bear was another boar he went 250 and had a great head and coat. I have hunted and fished all over and this hunt with my wife and daughter was one of the best I have been on, and I will be going back next year with the family. Sean

IMG_7661.jpg

IMG_7670.jpg

sleeping in a hang on in bear country hmm,another 1/2 hr and wiffy might of had a new bait pile to shoot over :lol: ,,,Great hunt EH? Some like to get away on a hunt to get away from the wife and kids,I would love to have the family with me on every trip as with you..

Then I know i'd be spending less time in the yarn shops and more time in the wild...

But Im not complaining....................Yarn shops ant all that bad. :(