Hello. I moved to NY in January, and am hoping to try fishing in Lake Ontario soon.

I live in Canandaigua, NY, and fish out of my 18' Starcraft Holiday with a 120 HP Mercruiser. I have no downriggers or planer boards (yet). I do have a couple of Dipsey's and Jet Divers, and a handful of salmon spoons that I picked up over the years.

I include this information as I ask for any advice on where to put the boat in, how far would you recommend going out, and is the time of day really that important on the big lake? I am not asking for your secret spots, I know better than that :lol:

I have fished a lot, but nothing as big as Ontario, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Welcome to to the best part of N.Y.state.You can hit the Genesee river or Irondeqoit Bayfrom where you are in about 45min. You can go west of rochester and go out of Sandy creek or up to Oak Orchard. Check ( attheoak.com) good info. Then stop at the locale tackle shops and spend about $5000 on new toys. Feel free to go east also, theres a couple good tackle shops at Sodus Point and Fairhaven Bay. Oh theres good fishing there to. Don't forget to have a good compass and a GPS and a VHS radio on board.If you get cought in the fog with out them you'll be in a world of sh..t. theres a section on this board marked Ports and GPS numbers for all of them. The Charter Capt. will be on ch.68-72 and tell you where the fish are and what there hiting. If you got the money take a charter, you'll learn more in six hours on one of these boats then you'll learn in a year along. Good Luck and good catching. Hey where did you move here from?

Moved here from the Dayton, OH area.

Spent the past 15 years as a 'garbage collector' (police officer) near Dayton. Wife had a chance to be part of management team for a new facility her company bought here in the Finger Lakes, and I was tired of being spit on, kicked, shot at, etc..., so we moved.

Well mister fireplug you maid a great choice, you can fish till your hearts content and the bigO is waiting for you and you most likely will get all the help you need from this board. Ask and you will receive. Read the past posts and it won't be long you will have a good Idea what to do. Each port is different Have fun.