glueing transducer to the hull?

tmckenzie

I bought a used humminbird fishfinder. It had not bracket with it to mount the transducer. I am wondering if I can glue the transducer to the transom, beneath the water line and it still work? Anybody here done this before? I have meesed around with it and it reads best pointed straight down.

Hbird sells the mounting bracket kit. You will need one to fine tune the angle so that it shoots exactly strait down. Otherwise it's likely to shoot at an angle, giving you inaccurate depth readings (further off the deeper the water) and your fish arches etc will just be angled lines. You will be happier in the long run with the bracket.

The transducer needs to extend 1/4-1/2 inch BELOW the bottom of the boat and be parallel to the boat bottom, and to be in an area of no turbulance water. This includes rivets (alluminum boat). Air bubbles or turbulent water will interfere with the signal return that produces the display on your screen.

Some tilt/angle the transducer up slightly so that the signal is not going straight down, instead going slightly behing the boat(a few degrees). This allows you to see where your downrigger balls actually are at trolling speed (blowback).

You need to contact Humminbird and purchase a bracket for your transducer. Adjustments in the transducer angle can be made when you have the bracket. A bracket involves drilling of holes into the transom of your boat for attachment. Fill the holes with silicone before inserting the screws or they will leak.

Fiberglass boats sometimes use a thru-hull transducer that is epoxed into place. I don't know if it will work on a metal boat. In thru-hull applications you need to drill a hole through the bottom of the boat to put the transducer into for direct water contact.

Drilling of holes cannot be avoided unless you use a clamp on bracket. Clamp ons have been used on canoes and rowboats for a long time.