Seneca South Oct 6-7

Hi Folks,

I got free of some responsibilities and have started fishing again the last couple of days. Things are looking better than a month ago and hardly any fleas and the weeds are greatly reduced. I much prefer cold weather fishing and caught a few fish yesterday and today, all fish healthy...fat and no eels or eel marks. Today I lost the biggest fish I have ever hooked on Seneca. It was almost for sure a Laker and I got a glimpse or two of a big fish straight down just before the hook pulled out. I don't know how big, but is was heavy and strong and it took me awhile to work him up toward the net.

Surface water was 64-65 yesterday and 61-62 today, 52-58 degree water down 50-60 feet and lots of fish and bait. I also marked bigger fish in the 20-30 foot strata north of Salt Point. I should have put the boards out but I was alone and it was getting windy. All the fish I hooked yesterday and today were on R&R small spoons, hammered brass and yellow and green flash on the other side. I always put an eye on all my spoons and believe it makes a difference. On the third rod I ran a copper rig with a flasher fly at 70-90 feet with zero results.

Tomorrow looks good for weather and I will give it another try.

ac,

I feel your pain about losing the big one. Thursday I lost the laker of a lifetime on Canandaigua. It refused to budge off the bottom. I had to reassure myself that it wasn't a snag, but the big headshakes told me otherwise. Broke me off. If it was any shallower I would have dove down after it.

Pete Collin

www.pcforestry.com

The one I hooked wasn't that big because I was able to work the fish up little by little, but I sure would have liked a better look see. There is no reason why the Finger Lakes would not grow really big lakers, maybe 20 lbs. plus, but those kinds of fish probably do not do a lot of running after spoons and flys.

I did pretty well today on Seneca...5 LLs and 2 Lakers between 3 and 5 lbs. for 6 of the fish and one dink LL. All spoon bite (small R&R hammered brass with green and yellow) on downrigger, 2.5 MPH at the probe, 60 feet down at the probe in 52-55 degree water. Surface temp 61-62 today.

What a beautiful day to be on the water...perfect!