Fish oil scent

I experimented with small red sponge pieces soaked in cod liver oil impaled on spoon hooks for trout and salmon throughout the year. Saw no increase in fish bites compared with same unscented spoons trolled at same time. No increase on hook-ups with scent added.

I experimented with small red sponge pieces soaked in cod liver oil impaled on spoon hooks for trout and salmon throughout the year. Saw no increase in fish bites compared with same unscented spoons trolled at same time. No increase on hook-ups with scent added.

I was thinking of using it as an alternative to floating egg sacks in a small stream. The scent would dissipate more slowly, holding in concentration longer, than while trolling in deep water with a spoon...giving the fish more of an opportunity to smell it. So if that theory holds water ;) , would it be effective?

• 6 months later...

Frogged around with the Berkley stuff, and have witnessed it to work with Walleyes.

One day on Oneida, trolling crawler harnesses, my side of the boat had it on, the other side didn't.

I was consistantly hooking up, and the other side of the boat was sucking hind tit.

The guy was pi$$ed, but refused to use it.

Go figure?

for years ive sprayed my flies with wd40 and wanted to beat someone when it ran out in the boat and no one replaced it. not sure whats in it if its not fish oil but its normaly been a great aid on more days than not