oh no i think i messed up

smaltcody

I live in ny and i would give myself credit on being a good deer hunter in the past.... so i just started hunting this property with all the essentials for good deer well here is my problem we bow hunted it all year so far and seen deer someday and none other days well now for the last week i have drawn a blank no deer i dont know why i mean we have 4 large cornfields and a swamp so its rut here but im seeing nothing no buck no doe and no big tracks all the tracks i see seem fresh but i dont move i use scent control i have tried sitting quietly with no call i have bleated rattled and grunted but nothing no deer at all i dont know why i and not even seeing any rut signs or even deer beds can someone please help me im so upset with myself i dont know if i pressured them off the land or what but we never still hunt push it or anything idk why i cant seem to locate deer i have even went spot lighting and seen nothing should i be worried its a 150 acres and has corn and apples a few oaks and creeks and swamps and we even have about 10 acres of thick area we never go in or anything its all set aside for a deer safe zone i mean we hunted the edges but still nothing can someone please help me :(

ps i have even tried hunting in different spots and i am wondering is it true they will bed in cornfields and could i just be not seeing anything because of the warmer weather but even cool days i see nothing

Don't get to discouraged, you might go out tomorrow and see a beast. The rut really just kicked in the last 48 hours or so. I know there was a lot of chasing and scraping the last few weeks but the last few days have been the first time I have seen mature bucks paired up with does. Watched a 10 pt in the middle of a field at 10 am Friday. Shot a nice 8 point this morning. Lots of fresh rubs and scrapes being made the last 48 hours as well. Scrape that haven't been touched in 3 weeks were all tore up again today.

Continuous pressure will push deer off a property, especially if you continually hunt the same stands and walk in and out the same way. Deer are smart and they know your there after a while. With that being said, I shot my buck this morning in a stand that has been hunted 6 or 7 times already this year, so you never know now that the rut is going strong.

If the corn is still standing that always has the potential for hiding some deer. Right now it seems the deer are in the thickest cover or very close to it. The does that aren't ready yet are hiding in the cover and the bucks are in there looking for them. Hunt close to the thick stuff or in it if you can. Be patient, spent 2 hours this morning without hearing a thing. In 15 minutes I saw 5 different bucks, the way the bucks are moving they could be a mile a way in half an hour, they are moving. My buddy had 5 bucks around his stand yesterday morning, he went back today and didn't see a thing. Right time, right place and a little luck go into it at this point.

Lots of factors this year with the warm weather. This weekend 60 degrees and windy......expect supresssion of deer movement. Full moon.....expect the bucks to be testing the does all night. Would you go jogging with a winter coat on in the summer? When it is warm out I often go to my stand late and stay all day. If weather is warm with a full moon and the bucks are chasing during the night they are probably going to be bedded until late morning when they need to stretch their legs and check their scrapes. I often see Bucks on patrol in the 10:00- 12:00 window. The other peak is the last hour before dark. Don't get discouraged. This weekend looks like the same type of weather ;( .

I don't really think that your doing anything wrong by hunting from the ground. I saw four bucks Sunday morning from the ground all within 50 yards not presenting a shot and I shot one last night. Another thing is that if your hunting alone your missing alot of the territory where the deer can be. I hunt ten acres with three people there and I saw six does and four bucks one morning, six does and one buck the morning before and two does and a buck last night. In the same times they saw two button bucks and a doe, three does and a spike, and zero deer

[ Post made via iPod ] iPod.png

The bucks are chasing doe's hard right now, I work for a small village, and i'm outside all day, I've seen some awful big bucks in the past month roaminig, Checking and chasing, I mean monster bucks, It makes you sick , because i go home and hunt and never ever have i seen deer like these in my woods, 17 pointer 19 pointer and alot of 10 s 12s , STICK TO WHAT YOUR DOING, they'll show themselves eventually. The next number 1 bow kill for NY i think was shot last week, scored well over 200 pts. Very close to where i work, Watched that deer for a long time, I don't think it was right where the guy shot him but,I guess it was legal, Is he the biggest, HELL NO!!! I know where there's a biiger one!