Oswego help

Our family will be vacationing in Oswego 8/22-8/26. I plan to target salmon and browns in the AM and PM. The last time I was to Oswego was 2004 but didn't have any riggers on my boat. Now that I have a pair of scotty elec. riggers it looks like results are coming from dipsy set ups :? I don't have a lot of experience with dipsys and was hoping to get some info on what sizes I should bring along; plus any info on the actual set up would be very helpful. I'm hoping to be able to use existing gear instead of making an additional investment in more rods for a once a year vacation experience. I already have two Cabelas depth master trolling setups spooled with 30# mono. Also have a two 7 ft St. Croix rods spooled with 80# Power Pro Braid that I use for Muskie fishing which I was thinking about running the dipsys off.

Helpful advice appreciated.

Kevin

Optiangler, I believe your Cabela setups will do fine. However, I feel the 7 foot rods you plan on using for dipsy's may not do it for you. Most dipsy setups incorporate a 10 foot rod due to the pressure put on the rod buy the dipsy. Of course you can always try it and see how you make out. I use Mason wire on my dipsy set ups. The wire allows for deeper running dipsy's but you need to realize there is no stretch to the wire so you need to be concious of that when playing fish.

There is a fleet of charter boats in the Habor on the Hotel side of the river.Most of them will be happy to show you their setups as far as rods.reels etc goes. Don't be too intrusive and they may offer you more information.

I am sure there are other fishermenon this site that may offer you more suggestions. Good Luck and have a great vacation.

Kevin,

You shouldn't feel you have to have dipsy's to catch fish, your rigger rods will serve you well. I fished last weekend and we still had a lot of spinny water fleas which clog up lines so you need to use large diameter line from your rod to the ball. I recommend you use 30 pound line (I like ANDE) for the vertical portion of your rigger lines then blood knot into lighter line for spoons or keep the heavy mono for the flashers and fly presentation. If your targeting browns try to use a long lead of 60 feet and no more than 12 pound test leader for spoons. Although folks have been catching browns on flashers and flies spoons, such a natural born killer, die hard and alewife patterns have been taking the lion's share of them lately. They have also been effective on kings.

The flea situation may make using the 80 pound power-pro diffucult due to its's small diameter. You could run a heavy mono dipsy for steelhead which are often higher in the water column if you don't have time to set up for wire. As was mentioned above its good advice to use a rod with some backbone to handle the larger dipsy's size #1 and up.

Thanks for the info guys,

We will be staying at the Captains Quarters Best Western right on the inlet. I have a 20 ft yellow Polar Center Console. For the most part I will probably be fish solo with the big tackle early AM and PM and then hit the inlet with the kids for smaller fish after they awake. From the context of your advice, I may end up leaving the muskie rods home as the two trolling rods may afford me to be somewhat versatile between a rigger and dipsy until I figure something out.

Is there a specific VHF channel folks use in the Oswego area to communicate fishing activity or do I just need to scan until I hear something useful?

I've usually trolled for lakers around 2 to 2.5 mph. How is this speed for the liking of salmon in the big O?

Thanks Again

Kevin