AUTO PILOTS

Jax

I am in the market for a new autopilot for my Penn Yan Predator 298 for 2012 and am considering the AP 24 to be at the top of my list but would like to hear pros cons from other owners of other models.

Let me know what you have any if you like it. Anyone have the Simrad AP 24? I loved my AP14 that I just sold with my Lund and have seen the 24 in action on a friends boat.

I installed the AP24 on my I/O boat two years ago. It has performed very well even in 4 footers. It has to be connected to your GPS to access all the functions and I had to build a cable by using a simrad cable and splice it to a Lowrance cable. I also had to install a NMEA 2000 system to connect all the devices. It was relatively easy to install. In my case it works better than the AP14 because it is connected directly to the outdrive unit with a linear drive and not the cable steering. If you have hydraulic steering it probably wouldn't make a diiference.

High Bidder

If you go with the Garmin, be sure to get the hand held remote so you can control the boat from anywhere in the boat. It is $299 option. You can make 1 degree or 15 degree direction changes by using two different buttons. The Garmin also has zig zag trolling patterns that are adjustable in length & angle, it also can circle or spiral from a waypoint. This is great when the kings are moving, as you can stay over them! Please let us know which one you do select.

Good Luck!