Hunting Sea Ducks Deep..??

We have been hunting in tight for birds and have been pounding the snot out of the Ol Squaw's and only Ol Squaws..!!! Would like to get into a bigger variety of birds! When you guys run off shore how do you know were to set up??? Look for #'s of birds, look for a water break..?? Will bufflehead, redhead, goldeneye, bluebill decoys work well? I would love to try and get some of those scooters!!! Also, do you get into the bufflehead,bluebill or goldeneye's out deep?? It just seems like 4-5 years ago it was all Bluebills , Bufflehead, and Goldeneye's around with very limited Ol Squaws, and now it has completely switched!!! Is it possible that the # of Squaws forced the other species of divers deeper to find food?? Any thoughts or sugestions would be greatly apprectiated!!

Thanks Alot Matt

-Jakey Baby-

Matt..........If I go after Scoters, I usually anchor long lines with very long droppers to heavy weights......doubled up window sash weights or big coffee cans with cement.....then anchor off the boat upwind 20 yards......should be good enough...the divers are real spooky and will not decoy very good to a boat, unless you use a open water layout ......good luck

I slightly disagree and have killed numerous divers from my float boat although it can be difficult. Ive shot Buffies, Scoter, Broadbills, Whistlers, Oldsqaw, Eider, Mergansers,and Redheads from my boat, some near shore and some offshore. I too have gone to using longline rigs for easy setting and pick up. Many times divers prefer their own species so I tend to set them in separate groups but it often doesn't matter as they will generally give your rig a swing even if they don't commit. Puddle ducks are are another matter. Although you can kill Blacks or Mallards near shore if your boat is well camouflaged. Being wary, they are difficult to entice offshore as the boat stands out. They will generally land outside your set, if at all, although they may swim into your decoys. You can't kill them on the couch.

Good luck!

Tomorrow I'm headed to Western NY for a few days for my last ducks of the year.