OK - XT, XL, Mono - what to use?

tannero

I'm fishing trout in Canandaigua, wondering, what's the best line out there. I've used XL without any problems but is mono better?

How do you tell when you need to re-line your reels or do you just do it once a year to be safe?

XT and XL are both mono from Berkley. They should work just fine. A lot of guys will have their opinion about their favorite fishing line. On the Finger lakes the water is very clear, so a Floro leader might be a must have. You can attach that with a blood knot or a uni to uni knot. You don't have to replace line EVERY year, but most guys will.

That's what I meant - or Floro. So floro for a leader then and keep the main line with XL or XT - ok.. never thought of just going with floro for leaders - good idea. thanks

nice boat man. I think I saw you out in the late summer/fall one day when I was fishing with a buddy in the derby right outside of genesee river. i thought man, that's a sweet boat to fish with..

That's what I meant - or Floro. So floro for a leader then and keep the main line with XL or XT - ok.. never thought of just going with floro for leaders - good idea. thanks

nice boat man. I think I saw you out in the late summer/fall one day when I was fishing with a buddy in the derby right outside of genesee river. i thought man, that's a sweet boat to fish with..

We weren't at the Genny till late September well after the derby. There are 4 or 5 10 Meter Trojans out of the River you may have confused us with.

Yankee, I usually us Berkley clear 12lb Big Game on the fingers before the fleas kick in. I don't have much experience with floro so what floro would you recommend and how long of a leader? :wondering:

Thanks

I use a floro leader ALL the time on my rigger rods. We run McCoy Mean Green Mono and their floro. It's great stuff, but not cheap! There are a ton of great floros out there. Gamma had a good one, Seguar is great as well as Andy, and Berkley 100% floro. Just don't use the Berkley Vanish! We run 15lb leaders when running spoons and 20lb leaders when running paddles. On our rigger rods I bring the leader knot to right above the levelwind and then cut the line at the hook keeper. Reason I do this is because it gives you a 15' leader give or take a foot, and when the fleas do show up the gob of fleas that find the knot wont give you trouble trying to reel it through the levelwind when fighting a fish.

Hope that helps.

Dumb question - when everyone mentions using fluoro leaders, you're talking about using fluorocarbon fishing line as the leader, not the specialized Fluoro leader used for fly fishing (which is apparently spun from gold, based on the cost), right?

• 3 weeks later...

You don't want to be using braid when the fleas show up I run 30lb big game for my main line and then a fluoro leader 10to30# depending on what species iam targeting the fleas are usually in and around the 62 degree water temp your generally targeting fish in the 48to55 degree water good luck to ya

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png