Questions about Jigging in Lake Ontario

I am getting the thoughts about attempt to jigging for any species that bites.

The location will be at just out of I-bay along shore of Lake Ontario. Probably around 5-30 fow.

I'll use almost everything related to jigging, three way swivel, crankbaits, spoons, and live baits. (primary 4-6 inch lures) I just wanted to get a bite. :lol:

I know I will expect some swearing around me and some dirty looks. However, I don't even care about that when I am begin fishing around there. I am kinda hope to hook up several Lakers from there. :yes: (I'll use kayak or small boat with fishfinder)

My plan is find the group of baits and start fishing from there and drifting until I feel that it is time to move back again or move another location. (Hope that many boats don't hit me! :lol:)

Anyway, I wonder if you guys have any advice for me about jigging around that area? If you does, feel free to comment or PM me. :yes:

Use heavy jigs obviously and find the structure. Browns and Lakers can be quite structure oriented so make jigging drops on any bottom irregularities you can find. Also find bait pods and drop through those. Rip jigging would probably be the most effective way to cover water quickly. Drifting will be a problem so maybe get a drift bucket or sock. Slow trolling a spoon of the three way swivel would pound the lakers and browns as well. Good chance at a nice size smallmouth should keep this interesting as well.

Idn713 - Yeah, much thanks!

However, there is another concern, what's the reasonable jig weight to use for out there? I planning to use few 1 and 2oz jigs or weight to see what happen next. Then second outing, will be lot better result because of know where to begin and which lures work better instead another lures.

dgio67 - Yes, I plan to fish there during spring because it is only chance that I am get. Due to college. I already found several interesting structure include "bowl hole." However, that bowl hole is where highest boat traffic are.(big boats and charter boats are trolling around that hole even circle around that exactly bowl. (I already went fishing couple of time with Pike Hunter and noticed that bowl on fishfinder. :o I got curious about jigging on that hole. :yes: )

Last year we were out there March 9th. There was no boat traffic. The last couple years the key to finding fish was to find the green water and fish it. the fish seemed to like the stained waters. If you found it you found fish if not keep going East til you do. i am sure you could jig up some fish out there.

I am getting the thoughts about attempt to jigging for any species that bites.

The location will be at just out of I-bay along shore of Lake Ontario. Probably around 5-30 fow.

I'll use almost everything related to jigging, three way swivel, crankbaits, spoons, and live baits. (primary 4-6 inch lures) I just wanted to get a bite. :lol:

I know I will expect some swearing around me and some dirty looks. However, I don't even care about that when I am begin fishing around there. I am kinda hope to hook up several Lakers from there. :yes: (I'll use kayak or small boat with fishfinder)

My plan is find the group of baits and start fishing from there and drifting until I feel that it is time to move back again or move another location. (Hope that many boats don't hit me! :lol:)

Anyway, I wonder if you guys have any advice for me about jigging around that area? If you does, feel free to comment or PM me. :yes:

Hi,

I use to jiggwith suttons on a drop sinker. Had prety good luck with lakers and even got a few kings.Finding the bait schools and staying over them paid off.

In the spring I usualy fish the creek mouths and either anchor or drift if light winds and cast with krocs or cleos in the productive water.

This method produced alot more fish and a lower gas bill..My searay was good for that in I had all the comforts when I was out on the lake.

Most of the traffic was further down by the plant so I didn,t disturb any trollers