color of Rigger cable ???

gotaway

I've read posts about the color of dipsey wire and had some capt's tell me they believe a darker color wire was more productive than a bright wire.............

It's time to change my rigger cable (too many "trim backs" ) and I was wondering if anyone had thoughts about a dark colored cable vs a bright cable

thanks, Joe (Gotaway)

The belief is darker rigger cable is less reflective which in theory makes it less visible creating a more stealthier downrigger presentation. Start a poll and im sure your question will be answered.

Thanks Capt. Rob............................

Tbro..., It isn't about the reason I did or didn't catch fish, I'm replacing my cables anyway, I noticed there are differant colors (dark or bright) offered. Before I spent the

bucks, I was looking to see if there was a preferance one way or another

Joe

Tbro..., It isn't about the reason I did or didn't catch fish, I'm replacing my cables anyway, I noticed there are differant colors (dark or bright) offered. Before I spent the

Joe

If the cost is the same or close, and the quality is the same, I would go for a dark, non reflective cable.

Certainly can't hurt.

I never saw that color option when I went to buy replacement cable and I don't want to run braid.

Glen

Joe

Joe,

Sorry, I wasn't referring to you, I was talking about those "Captains" you referenced.

Personally I don't think it is something you really need to concern yourself about. It is widely believed that the turbulence/noise from your cannonballs going through the water attracts fish and draw's them into your spread, so I really doubt the color of your cable will affect them one way or the other since I don't really see riggers as a "stealth" presentation .

When I was running my old Cannon Mag 10A's I had the darker Cannon "Camo" downrigger cable on them. With my current Scotty Riggers, my probe rigger has black coated cable and my non probe rigger has the bright silver Scotty Rigger cable and I cannot honestly say that I've ever seen a time when I thought it made a difference in how many hits a rigger took.

Over the course of a season I'd say they both take about the same number of shots. It may vary from day to day, but I believe that has more to do with what I'm running on that rigger than the color of the cable.

All of that said, if it gives you more confidence in your program, by all means, get the dark wire.

Tim