Up coming walleye season - equipment

slapshot

Sound like you'll be trolling.

If you'll be fishing the deeper waters of the eastern basin of lake erie I would start with divers.

Get yourself 4 dipsey rods (all 4 the same) 8 or 8'6 will do. Shimano TDR's are good rods in medium heavy and run about 30-35 dollars.

For reels a good solid reel is a Diawa Accudepth 47 Plus series for about 65.00 next up from that is a Diawa Sealine 47 LCA for abou 95.00. If you plan on using this reel for salmon when the fleas aren't around fill it with 12/50 power pro. If you won't be using it for salmon get yourself some cheap backing and buy a 150 yard spool and fill top it off with the power pro (you do this in reverse so you know how much backing then put it on the empty reel or just have a tackle shop do if your confused)

If you don't want Diawa's, Okuma Convector 30s or if your really cheap Magda 30's are the bottom of the barrel as far as linecounters go.

Get 4 dispey to run, get a spool of 20lb Seagar Invix or Carbon Pro flourocarbon for leader material to use to run off the dipseys, some high quality snap swivels and cross lock snaps, put the snap swivel on the business end where you want to attach your spinner or spoon, if you want to run a shallow billed crank off the diver you can flip your leader and put the snap on that end.

Stickbaits are unlimited, Reef Runners in deep divers with snap weight in 2 or 3oz are great to run off inline planer boards or deep husky jerks or bomber long a's, or any shallow billed crankbait (ripsticks, bombers, renowskys, huskys, etc) you can run off leadcore or your divers.

Spinners- I could go on for days about this I suggest making your own, hard to find good spinners on the shelf.

I'll add more later, if you have questions ask away.

• 1 year later...

I know I am late to this thread, but this is a really great post from K Gonefishin. Thank you!

One question for you if you have time.

You said "if you want to run a shallow billed crank off the diver you can flip your leader and put the snap on that end." I am trying to understand what this means. Are you saying that the snap would then attach to the dipsy, and the crank will get direct tied? Or something else?

Best Regards,

Craig

If you plan on running with diving cranks and or clip weights instead of dipsys I would go lighter on the braid. Line diameter really affects diving depth. Im gonna go to a 4 or 6 lb diameter 15-20 lb test to run off big boards. If anybody new to this wants a crash course in trolling walleyes pm me...the precision tolling book explains a lot and I have one that you can look at. I have no where near the experience of other guys here at LOU, but I catch a few and ill share what I know.

Justin

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Get this book http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/fishing-books/735151.aspx

I haven't read it but I guess it's pretty good.

Guys out east in ohio water fish 3oz inline weights with spinners ( Colorados, hatchets and tandem willows) , singe strand stainless wire with cranks, tru trip 40's and 50's (big boards for 50's) with spinners and spoons and divers with just about everything including spoons. We run inline boards with the inline weights with the spinners and snap weighted crank program. My typical smaller boat program is 4 or 6 boards with a mix of colorados and hatchet blades with 2 or 4 divers, depending on what they show a preference too ill kill a coupe of whatever and run more of what's working some days they won't touch divers or the boards. Leadcore and dive bombs are popular in ny waters but they don't see much action in ohio. Lots of ways to skin the walleye cat.

My suggestion is take a leaning charter and attend some seminars and see and hear how its done and absorb the info like a sponge.

Get this book http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/fishing-books/735151.aspx

I haven't read it but I guess it's pretty good.

Guys out east in ohio water fish 3oz inline weights with spinners ( Colorados, hatchets and tandem willows) , singe strand stainless wire with cranks, tru trip 40's and 50's (big boards for 50's) with spinners and spoons and divers with just about everything including spoons. We run inline boards with the inline weights with the spinners and snap weighted crank program. My typical smaller boat program is 4 or 6 boards with a mix of colorados and hatchet blades with 2 or 4 divers, depending on what they show a preference too ill kill a coupe of whatever and run more of what's working some days they won't touch divers or the boards. Leadcore and dive bombs are popular in ny waters but they don't see much action in ohio. Lots of ways to skin the walleye cat.

My suggestion is take a leaning charter and attend some seminars and see and hear how its done and absorb the info like a spo

do you mean single strain wire hareness or do they actually use wire for line for walleye?

Single strand wire mainline. It sinks and diving lures will acheive greater depths with the same setback as it "slices" thru the water. There is a bow up in your line as it goes back to your lure, as the water is pushing up on your line while the lure is pulling down to dive. If you can use thinner line lures dive deeper.

Justin

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I was referring to wire line for fishing most guys seem to be spooled up with 350 plus backing, running it all out will take  take a thunderstick, dave's kaboom, 800 reef runner, deep husky, yo zuri, bomber long a, etc to 50-65 ft depending on the bait. They run them off inline or big boards, very popular program that wards off white perch, white bass and catches mostly walleye. 

Guys do run wire harnesses (if they don't want to retie them but 30lb ones will last awhile but they get harder to snell and keep snelled on small hooks) as well but most guys run 20-30 pound flouro on harnesses. I tie my single blade spinners about 6-7 ft long using 20 pound seaguar or maxima flouro, with 6-7 6mm beads with a quick change clevis, my tandem rigs are 30 pound seaguar and I tie them 10 inches and use a regular diver leader in 20 pound, that way I can go from spinner to spoon to crank on my divers or jets. (I hardly run jets as I mostly run inline boards) 

Here are some pics, these are from 4 years ago I have since then chance the line and hooks I use but till still give you an idea. 

I have been using alot of 3 hook setups lately I will snell 2 of these http://www.fishusa.com/product/Mustad-10548R-UltraPoint-Double-Wide-Gap-Live-Bait-Hook?source=googleps&gclid=CMyFtrPisbkCFZA-MgodZX8AVw

Then one of these http://www.fishusa.com/product/Mustad-TG78BLN-UltraPoint-KVD-Elite-Triple-Grip-Treble-Hook?source=googleps&gclid=CJHFkdDisbkCFYtDMgodfiEAzQ

I order the #2's local and buy the #6's from Hagen's in bulk since they are so expensive. These hooks are razor sharp and keep monster walleye buckled up. 

Hogs love spinners and cranks off inline boards. http://www.walleyecentral.com/forums/album.php?albumid=72

post-141702-0-34183700-1378298527_thumb.jpg

post-141702-0-61138200-1378298534_thumb.jpg

post-141702-0-07448400-1378298556_thumb.jpg

Edited by K Gonefishin

K GoneFishing, Very Interesting post, thanks for posting pictures and good Info, I also tie my own rigs, I also incorporate a Michigan stinger spoon on some of the harnesses, very productive!!