suggestions setting up a lead core rod

I don’t have any experience with lead core rigs.:speechless: (I know....were the heck have I’ve been ).

I have a extra Penn 320 that I want to set up for lead core on Cayuga Lake and was wondering with having only one lead core rig how many core should I set up? What depth range do you think it would be in?

I’m thinking :thinking: that I would be targeting less than 50'. Any deeper and I’ll use my regular stuff,...`riggers & dipseys.

Well, With the 320, I think you would be fine if you put a 5-7 color on it. I have all from a 3-12. When summer hits, I use 5-12. With 5 picking me up a lot of bows and browns. You can always let out a little extra backing to get that extra couple of feet. I do not have any 320's set up for LC, but i do have a copper set up on a 320. And thats a 100 Copper. Works pretty good. Let us know what ya come up with.

nick

Mike,

I have 4...........2 with 10 color & 1 with 3 color & 50' braid then 4 more color............1 with 4 color 50' braid then 3 color. 5' down per color and I like putting the braid in the release and it saves a big droop on the board and I can target fish up high or low plus work the top water stuff, with that you should be able to run at least 6 or 7 rods per side :D The lead is a pain but it does catch fish!

Thanks Nick & Ken for the tips. :*

Never thought about splitting a core rod up with 3 or 4 core,..some filler and another 4 or 5 core. I'll have to give some thought to that. It does sound like I can hit a couple depths when needed. 8)

How are the fleas on lead core line? :wondering:

Mike,

I have 4...........2 with 10 color & 1 with 3 color & 50' braid then 4 more color............1 with 4 color 50' braid then 3 color. 5' down per color and I like putting the braid in the release and it saves a big droop on the board and I can target fish up high or low plus work the top water stuff, with that you should be able to run at least 6 or 7 rods per side :D The lead is a pain but it does catch fish!

Frisco,

What kind of releases are you using? I watched a guy try to release a 500' copper from the planer board line by slapping the tip of the rod toward the water...the braid snapped and the copper went bye-bye. It got me thinking about what the best scenario is....maybe copper to braid to mono (braid would shield the mono from abrasion and put the mono in release?)

I realize we are talking about leadcore here so I guess my question would be, Do you have any issues getting the braid to release?

104_0912.jpg

I use the yellow release which is common for mono on flat lines, the cold shrink on the top (stingers idea) prevents the mono from catching on the jaws and breaking on windy days. The other is the one I use for braid attached to leadcore. The yellow release won't hold the braid/lead. I have no idea where I bought the other or what it is called. I hope this helps.

Ken