Lockport "State of the Lake" tonight

No full report but a summary. A mix of fantastic news, and disturbing news. The Lake is full of healthy baitfish of different species. "size at age" of Kings(how the DEC determines health of fish) is excellent. Catch rates of Kings at or near record levels( I feel this isn't necessarily due to more fish, but due to the growing popularity and knowledge of todays anglers-from both sides of the fence). Lots of wild Chinooks hatch out, primarily on both shores of the eastern basin. How they survive and contribute depends on the conditions and presence of predators. It is obvious that this cannot be counted on, but perhaps can help offset the growing pressure on Kings lakewide.

The negatives are due to flooding, disease, and human error, we will incur shortfalls in Brown trout stocks next Spring, will continue huge shortfalls of Lake trout stocking, and have to scramble(with big help from the Canadians) to hit target numbers of Kings and Cohos. It doesn't look good to hit target numbers of Coho next Spring.

Of concern is when money is found to build a new hatchery or study center, it is met with opposition. Restarting Caledonia as a Chinook rearing facility, is met with opposition. We are dropping the ball here in NY, but expecting different results doing things the same way over and over. In Canada however, using dedicated volunteers and new state of the art facilities, they are "showin' up". Thank you "brothers in Kings".

The best news I heard was from a Canadian who told me that the US and Canada agreed to keep management objectives the same for at least 10 more years.

Chas,

If you are able to get out on Lake Ontario several times a year, the common practice is to keep some injured ones or smaller ones for your personal consumption. Charter clients that are dropping money throughout NY on the way here, on the southshore while staying here, and on non-resident licenses for as little as one day of fishing are entitled to what they want to take legally. This being said, if the crews just want a few, we suggest taking the injured ones or a few smaller ones. I have had clients release Browns, Steelies, and Lakers in the high teens(LB-wise) because they wanted to share a trophy catch with others.

If you are asking because of the stocking shortfalls, you may want to release Lakers, especially big ones now that natural reproduction has been documented.

If you are talking Salmon, most of the fleet frowns upon keeping "skippers"(1st yr Kings) which are usually under 18" long. Coho that size usually spawn and die in the fall so it's not as important. As long as you are using the fish there's no apology needed for keeping some as the most important thing is that anglers continue to use the fishery to justify it.

Chas,

If you are able to get out on Lake Ontario several times a year, the common practice is to keep some injured ones or smaller ones for your personal consumption. Charter clients that are dropping money throughout NY on the way here, on the southshore while staying here, and on non-resident licenses for as little as one day of fishing are entitled to what they want to take legally. This being said, if the crews just want a few, we suggest taking the injured ones or a few smaller ones. I have had clients release Browns, Steelies, and Lakers in the high teens(LB-wise) because they wanted to share a trophy catch with others.

If you are asking because of the stocking shortfalls, you may want to release Lakers, especially big ones now that natural reproduction has been documented.

If you are talking Salmon, most of the fleet frowns upon keeping "skippers"(1st yr Kings) which are usually under 18" long. Coho that size usually spawn and die in the fall so it's not as important. As long as you are using the fish there's no apology needed for keeping some as the most important thing is that anglers continue to use the fishery to justify it.

Thank you for your response. I do keep some but will limit it to the injuried and smaller ones for consumption. Lakers I have always thrown back but like to get a picture with a nice one.

My first ever trolling experience I caught a 17lb. laker on my dad's downrigger pole. I was barely 6 years old and brought it in alone. I remember my father jumping up and down in the boat happier than anything. He didn't realize it was as big as it was until it was within a few feet of the boat. That is a memory I will never forget so its kind of in my blood haha.