Jigging Keuka 3/12/12

Keuka certainly is hot for numbers of smallish lakers.

When I was launching my boat there were guys casting from the docks at the Hammondsport Village Park. I saw them catch 4 lakers while we were launching, and when I came back in a little after noon, they were STILL catching fish.

My partner and I jigged for 4 hours in 135-140FOW about two miles north of H'port near the east side.. We marked fish constantly and had nonstop action. Two of us landed 40 lakers and also missed lots of strikes and lost lots of fish.

My hot lure was a 1 oz. chrome diamond jig, but my partner did almost as well on a 1 oz. brass Kastmaster.

Nothing big..Our biggest fish was about 4 pounds... It seemed like it took longer for the jig to drop to the bottom than it did to get a strike after you got down there.

My wrist is sore..... ;) ....

We only kept 3...We each had a 3 pounder in the box for supper, then I hooked an 18 incher that had the spoon in his gills, so he went in the box too..

I like a laker fresh now and then, but I feel they don't freeze well.

I canned a few last summer but was disappointed with them..Not nearly as good as the canned northerns that have provided my fish patties for years..

It sure is fun catching those lakers on the light gear we use for jigging, though..

I really hate to post this reply but.........

and keep in mind I deplore wasting fish.....Keep them and use them as fertilizer if you have to. The lake is so over whelmed it isn't funny.....removing as many lakers as possible is the only answer to get the size back in the lake.....very sad situation but true. :no: