Shore fishing around Rochester?

Hi guys!

I'm hoping some of you can help point a couple of newbies in the right direction, please. My wife and I are currently relegated to shore fishing only, and we are wondering if anyone can recommend a place we could try to cast from shore in or around the Rochester area. I am familiar with the one pier in Charlotte, I think it is - Near Shamrock Jack's and the amusement park. We are thinking of trying that tomorrow AM, and maybe again Sunday. Does anyone think we have a chance at casting to trout or salmon from that pier this weekend? Could you suggest any other nearby place we could try, and what lures/spoons/bait you might try for trout/salmon. If trout or salmon from shore is completely out of the questions, is there anything besides perch to be found near shore this time of year?

Thanks very much for your ides and suggestions!

-CatFisher

You could also try Irondequoit Bay channel lakeside or go out to Webster park. Toss some heavy spoons that give you some distance such as lil cleo's, Krockadiles etc. (orange, silver, occasionally a blue)

Good luck,

Tom B.

(LongLine)

You could also try Irondequoit Bay channel lakeside or go out to Webster park. Toss some heavy spoons that give you some distance such as lil cleo's, Krockadiles etc. (orange, silver, occasionally a blue)

Good luck,

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Awesome! Thank you so much for your prompt reply! So then you'd say there's probably some trout or salmon around shallow enough that we could try to cast to the them from shore? Yes, we have fairly stout spinning gear, and hefty Little Cleo's and plenty of other trout spoons. Is the morning usually the best time to try?

Thanks again, we really appreciate the advice!

-CatFisher

The pier you're familiar with is at the Irondequoit Bay channel. If you head west, you have the Summerville pier on the east side of the Genesee River and directly across, the Charlotte pier. Browns are possible from any at this point, best at dawn or dusk - haven't seen any reports lately about how active though. Use casting spoons or stickbaits. Good luck.

Hey guys!

Thanks for all the advice! My wife and I tried off the pier near Irondequoit Bay this morning. We were there at the crack of dawn, and fish about three hours with no luck. There were two younger guys there this morning who said the week had been good, and that they caught many brown trout from that pier. Maybe we'll get a chance to try some of the other suggested locations.

For now, can anyone just tell us if we're too early for Spring trout from shore, or too late because of the warmer weather? I would think the lake is still at fairly normal temps for the season, but I'd just like some reassurance that we have a chance out there.

Thanks so much for all the help!

-CatFisher

This is primetime for "pier jockeys." Now, through the end of April. The weather will play a huge factor in your success, and sometimes on the choppy days they(trout and Coho) will "tuck in", inside the pier heads. Sometimes they feed heavy when it's the least comfortable. The water is still cold, so keep spoons and spinners moving slowly but pump occaisionally to trigger strikes.

When the Alewives move in to spawn it will get move tougher for you, as you will be competing with billions of twirling/dying baitfish.

Legacy is right, don't be afraid to invest in road trips to Oak Orchard, Sandy, and Olcott for pier fishing. I did lots of pier casting in the late 70's early 80's and had my best days at those sites even though I lived in Rochester. Good Luck!

CF - one technigue to try is to chuck that spoon as far as you can; let out slack so it settles towards bottom; keep rod tip low; reel slowly & slowly raise tip overhead; slow retrieve and lower tip to water, repeat during retrieve. This will give lure and up & down motion in the water. Works where bottom is sandy such as I-bay & Summerville. (Webster is rocky) cast perpendicular, parrallel & at 45 deg to your spot (as long as no one else is within 100 ft of you) Move 20 ft out & try again. Best to be out early.

Good luck

Tom B.

(LongLine)