largemouth on the feed 3-20-12

kremer01

Had the day off work but did not want to go all the way to LO, so I decided to try some nearby ponds for largemouth, even though it is a little early in the year. Guess what? Its not too early. First pond I hit was on fire! I got around 20 in 2 and a half hours, mostly small, but a couple near 3.5 lbs. Had to run an errand for an hour so I decided to go back and fish a different pond to see if they were biting there. Nothing - only fished it for an hour and knew nothing doing there. So I pack up and head for a third different pond. Yahtzee! For the first hour I hit 10 bass, 1 pushing 5 lbs.! Slowed down after that as I moved around trying to find other spots, but awesome day for SO early in the year. Fish came on tubes (green pumpkin), rapalas and a topwater popper!

Having been in California for several weeks, and being out several times in the past, it may surprise you to know that out here (in the Bay area), largemouth bass are sold live from aquariums in many markets, especially in asian owned and catered to establishments. They fetch a consistent $10.00 a lb. and average about 1/2 to 3lbs for a whole fish!!.....U by them whole and then they trim 'em and clean/fillet them for you. You don't buy salmonids for those high prices, and they are there for you to compare: and certainly not alive!

So im not the only one haha. I went 3 days last week for a couple hours at a nearby pond and went 15, 13, and 9 numbers wise for maybe 2 hours or so on largemouths. Caught em all on weight less flukes and jerkbaits. Loads of fun on light line and constant action. They all were around 12 or 14 inchers with the biggest being about 2 pounds.