proper etiquette

Troutstalker,

I hate to even have to do this post but it is what it is. I am a a USCG license captain out of rochester and fish the IBAY area often. MOST of the time i would suspect that the captain may of been doing something else and or not paying attention and wouldn't do it on purpose. Alot run and troll on autopolit and this allows them to concetrate on "other things". Not making excuses just stating facts.

No matter what the situation any boat operator EXSPECIALY a captain should follow the rules of the road, be in control of the situation, use their brain and be aware of possible bad situations.

My advice to you is if you are 100% possitive you are in the right and feel unsafe contact the uscg, be it a rec boat, power boat, charter boat or what have you. Most boats out and around IBAY have a boat name somewhere on them.

Sorry for the encounter not all of us are like that :D

Would of been great if on auto pilot and it was a 14 foot log instead of a kayak. No one to **** at except his stupid self.

Oops, I'm hungry, set my cruise on the interstate and go in the back and make me a sandwich

Good thing common sense is more common or this would happen everyday :wondering:

[ Post made via Android ] Android.png

• 2 weeks later...
I was out of I-Bay today in my kayak drift trolling.There were no boats around until a large one trolling planer boards came up behind me.I was in 5' of water.As I started to paddle the captain got sarcastic with me stating I was in his way.He was upset because he had to pull in his equipment.My message to him is that I have a manual powered vessel and I HAVE THE RIGHT OF WAY!He could have turned his garbage skow in a different direction to avoid the situation.This captain needs to learn the proper ettiquette or gey off the water!

Pursuant to USCG 46 CFR you are absolutely correct. I have noticed the Captains in this area have no respect for other boaters or the LAW. It is against the law for a hired vessel to be under way making way with no one at the helm. More and more charter captains do not want to pay a mate and use an autopilot instead. This is illegal. They are setting lines facing backwards and nowhere near the front view of their vessel. This practice is unique to Lake Ontario, and is not allowed by the Coast Guard. If you see this you should write down the Reg. numbers and or the vessel name and contact the Coast Guard. You should report these violators to the USCG Buffalo Enforcement office at 716-843-9340, should you find no response there I recommend you contact USCG Cleveland at 1-216-902-6118.

No matter who has the legal right of way deal, you have to take action to avoid collision or damages. If you stop the kayak does not have the right of way then. Lawyers make a good living with obstinate idiots who think they know the law.

If you have floating plugs they will float up and not snag. Then you will be safely on your way when the "right of way jerk" has passed on.

Just at least stop if there is any question of a collision. The first question in an accident is "what did you do to avoid it?".